PDA

View Full Version : Happy Independence Day in advance.

dadaist
07-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Few things I want to say:

Congrats to Vancouver for the winning 2010 Winter Olympics bid.

A moment of silence for the unlucky 13 (literally) killed in Chicago by a porch collapse.

Another moment of silence for those killed today (7/2 or 2/7 in the rest of the world) in Florida by a fireworks explosion.

Two more for the shooting spree victims in Missouri and Germany (although I understand only one teacher was shot in the latter, so that may not be a 'spree' as such).

As for myself:
I have class tomorrow (Thursday) night, and old friend (going back 14 years) coming from Chicago to where I live on the 4th (I'll be at Ribfest, if anyone cares :P ). And meeting at least one ex-coworker on Sat for dinner (possibly others as well).

So everybody have a good weekend, see you next week.

dicksbro
07-03-2003, 04:56 AM
You have a good weekend, also, dadaist ... and let me add my congrats to Vancouver!

And, a very HAPPY 4th OF JULY to everyone. Hope it's a safe and happy one. (Even if you're not from the USA, you can still have a happy and safe 4th :D :D)

LixyChick
07-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Your're a grand old flag
You're a high flying flag
And forever in peace may you wave.....

You're the emblem of
The land I love
The home of the free and the brave.....

Every heart beats true
For the red, white and blue
Where there's never a boast or a brag......

But should old aquaintance be forgot
Keep your eye on the grand old flag!

Ohhhhhhhh.......I'm a yankee doodle dandy
A yankee doodle do or die
A real live yankee like my Uncle Sam
Born on the 4th of July

I've got a yankee doodle sweetheart
He's my yankee doodle boy (changed the words to fit the scene)

Yankee Doodle went to London just to ride a pony.....
I am that yankee doodle..........um......GIRL! LMFAO!

Geezzzzzzzzzzzzz, I loved Jimmy Cagney!

Oh, wait............

lol........ahhh, nevermind!

Happy Independence Day!

Irish
07-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Everyone enjoy a good 4th.Enjoy pixies,it may be down,because,
I just saw on TV news,that the computer hackers are having a
contest.Not predicting,just relating. Irish

cowgirltease
07-03-2003, 09:27 AM
:jump:

quisath
07-03-2003, 11:08 AM
We are less than 1 day from one of the most important Holidays of our Nation, so it is time to remember . . .

4TH OF JULY

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished. Some of us take these liberties so much for granted, but we shouldn't.

So, take a few minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these patriots. It's not much to ask for the price they paid.

Remember: freedom is never free!

It's time we get the word out that patriotism is NOT a sin, and the Fourth of July has more to it than beer, picnics, and baseball games . . .

To all of you that I have come to know and Love.................Have a Great Fourth and Be Safe.

dm383
07-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Happy 4th of July folks, when it comes! :)

(BTW, I know what quisath has detailed above is all true..... but not ALL of us Brits are BAD!! :D:D)

DM

dadaist
07-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Irish
Everyone enjoy a good 4th.Enjoy pixies,it may be down,because,
I just saw on TV news,that the computer hackers are having a
contest.Not predicting,just relating. Irish

The contest is to take place during an unspecified 6 hour window on Sunday (7/6). It's called the defacer's challenge.
Info here:
http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=displaynews&NewsID=238

And that's it from me for today! See you guys after the holiday!

Scarecrow
07-03-2003, 05:17 PM
Happy 227th Birthday USA

Aqua
07-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Happy 4th everyone... Here's a song for the occasion! And a link to hear it... ;) :p

http://www.twistedtunes.com/show/vault/alpha.asp?Var=I&Page=2

Independence Day

(Parody of God Bless The U.S.A. by Lee Greenwood)

There's a holiday to celebrate
the american way of life
gunna have a bbq
with all my children and my wife

I bought some cherry bombs
at a roadside stand today
gunna blow stuff up for freedom
and they can't take that away

If your proud to be an american set
your fireworks off with me
and be careful or you'll lose an eye
so hide behind that tree

everybody stand back fifty feet
and enjoy this big display
cause this stuff is powerful contraban

God Bless The USA

got a dozen roman candles
quarter sticks of tnt
a box of bottle rockets
I bought illegally
from Detriot down to Houston
and New York to LA
there's a fire in every american yard
every Independance day

I'm loud I'm free I'm american and
just as proud as I can be
and I'd like to thank the chinese guys
who made this stuff for me

everybody stand back fifty feet
just incase this comes your way
cause I would hate to see you lose a hand
on Independance Day

fzzy
07-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Happy 4th of July .... since others have put in links here ... here's one a friend sent me .... it's a bit long, but interesting ... about many from the "old" hollywood who performed bravely for their country ... hope you enjoy

www.palletmastersworkshop.com/flipside.html

Murphy
07-03-2003, 06:56 PM
*Standing at attention, tall and proud in my Marine Corps Dress Blues, a small tear rolling slowly from the corner of my eye*...

Let us all say a prayer for all the sons and brothers who have made the ultimate sacrifice to protect our freedom, and the freedoms of many nations. God bless them all.

Steph
07-04-2003, 12:36 AM
Thanks to all who wished my countrymen a happy Canada Day on the first and I send my prayers to the Newfoundlanders who faced a brutal assault on July 1st . . .

And, happy July 4th to my wonderful neighbours!

Whoop whoop! 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver!

hellsbells
07-04-2003, 05:19 AM
To my friends across the "POND"

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY

HUGGGGSSSSSSSSSSS

campingboy
07-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Happy Independence Day to all my neighbours to the south. May it be enjoyable and safe.

RandyGal
07-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Happy and safe 4th to y'all.

*insert red, white and blue smilie here*