PDA

View Full Version : War Veterans

PantyFanatic
11-11-2003, 02:52 AM
… are not something I believe the species needs more of. But to the people who have stood up and gone forward in behalf of their fellow citizens, I say THANK YOU. And to the people that stay behind and wait, I only now have some awareness of your task.

LixyChick
11-11-2003, 05:26 AM
Here, here PF! Well said!

BigBear57
11-11-2003, 06:01 AM
PF once again you have so eloquently crystalized my own thoughts. I do so agree. Thank You folks for all you've done. We can only hope to make use of the freedoms we enjoy in a manner befitting the sacrifices made.

Cobalt
11-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by BigBear57
PF once again you have so eloquently crystalized my own thoughts. I do so agree. Thank You folks for all you've done. We can only hope to make use of the freedoms we enjoy in a manner befitting the sacrifices made.

Couldn't have said it better or agree more!!!!!!!! Thank You !!!!!

Steph
11-11-2003, 09:49 AM
In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Check out www.google.ca ~ they've done a great job with the title.

Steph
11-11-2003, 09:58 AM
I'm listening to CBC now and they're talking to a war historian in America. He said America doesn't really hold Remembrance Day/Armistice Day ceremonies like Canadians, Brits and Aussies. Do you know any Americans who wear a poppy?

Also, in school, we always had ceremonies on Nov. 11th and we broadcast ceremonies with the prime minister, etc.

Teddy Bear
11-11-2003, 11:15 AM
A big THANK YOU to all our veterans!!

Nightfalke
11-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Steph
I'm listening to CBC now and they're talking to a war historian in America. He said America doesn't really hold Remembrance Day/Armistice Day ceremonies like Canadians, Brits and Aussies. Do you know any Americans who wear a poppy?

Never heard of the poppies thing, but as for Veteran's Day here in the US...typically it is more of a subdued affair. The major war rememberance day is Memorial Day in May.

And thank you to all the veterans out there who helped fight for what we have today.

Sugarsprinkles
11-11-2003, 07:30 PM
As the wife of a Vietnam Veteran, I would like to thank PF for starting this thread and for all the kind words from everyone else who has posted and who will post. Unless you have served, or are related to someone who has served, you really don't know what these men and women have given in order for us to have the freedoms we enjoy today.
But why is it that all the government and bank employees get the day off work, but the veterans whom the day is supposed to be honoring, all have to work???? Go Figure!!

Steph,
As for the poppies here in the U.S., on May 23 every year members of the American Legion accept donations (usually at street corners or intersections) and in return give a paper poppy to the giver. This is close to our Memorial Day, which falls at the end of May. May 23 is Poppy Day. (At least this was the case in and around Detroit.) Here is a link I just found that will give you some idea of the celebrations and memorials held here this year.
http://www.appc1.va.gov/vetsday/ I hope you find it very informative.

Here in Branson, we had the second largest gathering of veterans in the U.S. this year. The Branson, Missouri area is very mindful of our veterans, they are accorded great respect here. We have a Veterans Memorial Museum here that is dedicated to the veterans of conflicts of the 20th century. No doubt they will be including the veterans of the current war too. If anyone is interested they have a website http://www.veteransmemorialbranson.com . I believe retired military receive a discount on their admission.

Thanks again PF, not only for starting this thread, but for the service you redered as a member of the U. S. Army. Thank you to all the rest of Pixie's military veterans!!!

kleclere
11-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Thank you PF and the rest of the Pixies family. As a veteran myself and married to one also. It is very a warm feeling in my heart to know that we are welcome and appreciated. Like Sugarsprinkles said it is bad when the ones whom the day is to honor have to work. I also want to extend my thoughts and prayers to all the veterans and spouses. And thank all of my Pixies family for the support.

Teddy Bear
11-11-2003, 08:21 PM
I didn't have alot of time before but I wanted to get my 'Thank You' on here while it was still veterans day. Now I have a few more minutes I wanted to add what I know about observing the day.

I agree with whats been said already, that Memorial Day in May gets more attention with parades, fireworks, etc. And it's then that you'll see the veterans in front of stores taking donations and handing out paper poppies. I choke up everytime I read 'In Flanders Fields' and so being handed a poppy by an elderly veteran gets me misty eyed to.

But veterans day is still observed in some towns. We have a veterans cemetary in my town and they hold a ceremony there. A wreath is put on one grave from each branch of the military. They have speakers (govenor, etc) and taps is played while jets fly over head.

My Mom lives way up in northern Vermont in a tiny little town. They have the children go to school in the morning for a half day. (I think theres under 100 kids in the whole school system!!) The town cemetary is not far from the school, so they all walk over. All towns people are invited to attend. The children sing a few songs, place flags & wreaths on the veterans graves (I think theres 3....?) They ask the oldest citizen of the town to say a prayer. I've never attended, but my Mom goes every year. She says it very moving. And they hold this rain or shine or freezing temps!!! (A few years they had snow.)

So it is observed in a quieter way then our northern neighbors do and I guess its up to each town to decide how they will observe it.

Another TY to our vets BUT also a BIG Thank You to those they left behind.... Moms, Dads, Wives & Children.

teddy :)

BlondeCurlGirl
11-11-2003, 11:26 PM
Our Veterans deserve all the patriotic displays of respect that comes with holidays that recognize their bravery and heroics. I am deeply grateful for everything they have done and continue to do, and wish that the USA had more ways to honor our Vets (and Veteran families!) and their sacrifices.

Thank you!

PantyFanatic
11-12-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Nightfalke
Never heard of the poppies thing, but as for Veteran's Day here in the US...typically it is more of a subdued affair. The major war rememberance day is Memorial Day in May.

And thank you to all the veterans out there who helped fight for what we have today.
I didn’t realize how far north you were in Minnesota Nightfalke.;) lol Spent some time in the Ely area. You need to paddle around in the Quetico Boundary Waters area some time.:) You may luck-up, meet one of our kunuck sisters and she’ll tell you all about it.:D lol

It seems from this information, that it is more of an area observance than I was aware of. Cleveland seems much like what SS spoke of for Detroit. There are many active veterans groups in the area and we have ceremonies around the city, including city hall. While less attended than the St Paddy’s Day parade,;) we even had a small one here today.

dicksbro
11-12-2003, 06:35 AM
I'm afraid I had to work yesterday and that was a shame. Peoria had a nice parade recognizing our veterans. If my work schedule hadn't changed, I would have been in that parade. Our service men and women certainly deserve our thanks! I was lucky. One serviceman came into the store I work at and I took the time to shake his hand and thank him. Caught him off guard, but I think he appreciated the gesture.

Steph
11-12-2003, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the links and info about America's celebrations, SS, Teddy and PF and DB.

Sugarsprinkles
11-13-2003, 01:29 AM
I was just thinking...................you know, we have men and women in our Veterans Hospitals who rarely or never get visitors. It's a shame that we only think about those that served our countries once or twice a year. It might be nice to try to do something for these men and women. If you have a Veteran's Hospital nearby, vistors are always welcome. So are donations of books and magazines. You could always call and see what other kind of help is needed and accepted. They served us 365 days a year, not just two.

rabbit
11-16-2003, 11:38 AM
God Bless our veterans (living and passed) and their sacrifice of honor in service of our Country.

rabbit

dicksbro
11-16-2003, 08:07 PM
And hats off to the brave men and women of our great friends and allies who, over the years, have also given so much to preserve liberty and freedom. It may have been a US holiday, but there's a world of thanks to go around!

Vullkan
11-25-2003, 11:05 PM
I wish I hadn't been in the process of moving to have seen this post.
........But for all your warm words for the Vets. Thank you.

a prayer and a wish that someday that men and women of our nation need not have to step into harms way. It is my wish that in my life time the sword of war can be forever sheathed

darogle
11-27-2003, 05:57 PM
A thank you from a different perspective...

As I am in the military and am being sent overseas to a hostile area to face unknown tribulations, I too send my thanks to all the veterans out there.

I thank you for leading my way. For giving me the training to handle all that I will endure. For providing me a sense of honor and duty. Thank you for being my mentors and my leaders. For your selfless service and courage, you provided me with the finest of examples and make me proud to serve. Thank you.

God Bless you all and may your days be filled with peace.