PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy- Not Passion

PantyFanatic
06-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Other current threads have shared how our own experience and/or observations have given us guidelines that we each tend to live by or make our judgments according to. I am NOT thinking of the genetic instincts or human drives innate to us, but the lessons learned from reflection on non-passionate experiences.

Presently we have discussions about the amenities and luxuries available in our present daily social structure and the old saw of “…what I had compared to…”. This is what we are naturally inclined to differentiate “living standard necessity” and “luxury” by.

The one philosophy or standard I have drawn from all this is “Anything Totally Free has NO VALUE!”

I, personally, believe this to be the case, whether adult or child, wealthy or poor, employee or manager, spouse or acquaintance………Regardless of the portions given, 50/50, ~ 1/99,….. without SOMETHING from both sides (0/100), it HAS ZERO VALUE to one side.

Case Example-
A 10 man shop was provided coffee as a working condition courtesy, through a coffee service company that brought in the coffer maker station and sold the coffee supplies. When the monthly bill exceeded $300, it was discovered that the “get a cup at your leisure” option had breed a VERY sophisticated taste bud for a substantial number of employees. A 30 minute old pot, with one cup removed, was dumped out to make a “fresh” one had become the practice.

The policy was changed to submitting the monthly invoice to the group for a 10% contribution, through whatever device decided, before the next order could be placed. Within 90 days, the 90% company portion stabilized at $80 - $85 per month.

This meant that a $90 monthly bill required less than $1 per person average contribution but reduced the total cost by about 70%.

So what lesson have you learned that has given you a personal philosophy in life?:D

WildIrish
06-10-2004, 02:05 PM
I think I just learned a very important one! ha ha

darogle
06-10-2004, 02:07 PM
As you go through life,
Two rules shall never bend.

Never whittle towards yourself,
Or piss against the wind.

:p

osuche
06-10-2004, 02:16 PM
I'd think an important one I've learned is...

"Always assume people are capable of more than you think they are -- and if you give them challenges, and put faith in them, they will likely succeed."

I've learned that I work best with the hungry underdog-- the person who wants responsibility and is looking for someone to give them challenges. I've never yet been disappointed in giving these folks opportunities.

osuche
06-10-2004, 02:17 PM
OK. One more....

"The day is never too short, or too bleak, to give SOMEONE a (sincere) compliment and tell someone else 'Thank you.' "

...what goes around comes around.

Lilith
06-10-2004, 03:16 PM
My philosophy is my passion..."Everyone can learn"...... it's my job to figure out how

naughtyangel
06-10-2004, 03:22 PM
I'll have to think about that question some more!

But, PF.....the reason your imaginary employees have such discerning taste, and can't drink from a pot of coffee over 30 minutes old, is merely because they're Canadian and used to Tim Horton's.... which everyone knows is always fresh because the pots are emptied after 20 minutes ;)

Lilith
06-10-2004, 03:23 PM
<~~~~ hates old coffee :p

LarryL
06-10-2004, 03:49 PM
I have learned what I already knew: numbers are confusing.

BIBI
06-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Hold onto the melons Pantyboy :).......gonna grab a coffee and give this some thought! BBL ;)

Sharni
06-10-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by PantyFanatic
The one philosophy or standard I have drawn from all this is “Anything Totally Free has NO VALUE!”
Not true....totally free usually equates to something given

I had many things given too me and i valued everyone of them

Many a horse was given to me as it was deemed worthless...with some TLC and retraining they all became quite valuable (and not necessarily in price)

fzzy
06-10-2004, 08:21 PM
loving, giving and nurturing others and yourself seems to make something inside yourself shine so much brighter......

Life is too short to hold a grudge or let someone else make you crazy with their problems. (I don't mean the sharing the load we do with loved ones, but there are people in this life that are "crazymakers" they seem to make choices that impact negatively on others lives .... but I've learned that you can WITH A LOT OF WATCHFULNESS deflect most of that back to them.) (sorry ... too long of an explanation!!! LOL)

wyndhy
06-10-2004, 09:37 PM
i have learned too much in my short life to put it all here, but i'd like to say one thing: although i kinda get what you're saying PF, i would never ever de-value, ignore or discount anything just because it came for free or because i was the only one invested 100%. you could miss out on the best things in life that way.

BIGbad
06-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Three lessons I have learned throughout my life...

Trust no one and you will never be disappointed in life.

Expect the worst in life and you will always be surprised when something good happens.

The world is full of assholes and you just have to deal with them.

He what can I say I am not a glass is half full or a glass is half-empty guy; I am the glass will be empty until I do something about it kind of guy.

PantyFanatic
06-10-2004, 09:59 PM
…..I am NOT thinking of the genetic instincts or human drives innate to us…

….lessons learned from reflection on non-passionate experiences…

…..about the amenities and luxuries available in our present daily social structure…

….as a working condition courtesy…

What constraint or genus can I use to focus my topic and thoughts?:confused:

wyndhy
06-10-2004, 10:15 PM
“Anything Totally Free has NO VALUE!”:D

i think that pretty much covers it :p ...just givin my opinion in a non-literal sense :D

PantyFanatic
06-10-2004, 10:25 PM
I see. :rolleyes: I guess that'll do it.

lol ;)

LixyChick
06-11-2004, 04:46 AM
Um...it's a quarter to 6am and my mind is racing!

I've got all day to mull this over...and I'll be back when the mulling is over!

*EDIT* I was just about to log out and go off to work and I thought of something to add...

The more you do for your boss...the more he expects from you the next time. What I mean by that? You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd!

That's my early lesson. Wait'll you read my late one!

boilergirl1
06-11-2004, 05:07 AM
PF-have you NEVER once given without the expectation of a return have you never recieved w/o an expectation of having to give if this is the case ....well wow you've missed out and let me be the first to give you this.........
a smile from my heart
a hug from my arms and
a place to come whenever you may need to no strings attached.
these gifts i give to you will my very deepest sincerity
schelagh
aka
boilergirl1

Oldfart
06-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Things we get for nothing are often granted lesser importance or "value"

than stuff we've slaved to get.

The trouble with this is that we demean the act of giving by doing this.

An easy example is that Lil and family drove halfway across the State

to spend some time with a pair of Aussie travellers.

She (they) put themselves out just for me, a simple act of friendship.

Free doesn't mean it cost nothing, just didn't cost you money.

Steph
06-11-2004, 09:37 AM
Interesting coffee analogy because I've been thinking of something along those lines lately.

I feel it's time to leave my current job because I see customers and workers are not valued as much as they once were.

At my last job, I worked salary and worked a hell of a lot more than 40 hours a week - try 70 on average.

I went in to work early one Saturday morning to enjoy the peace of a quiet office. I went to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee and thought, "It's nice that I can enjoy free coffee."

Shortly after, management decided it cost too much money and took away the free coffee. Nobody was abusing it, management just decided to be cheap.

I quit pretty quickly.

PantyFanatic
06-11-2004, 12:05 PM
LMFAO-:D

I’m so sorry I wasn’t able to express the goal with my question to some of you. This wasn’t about coffee, employees or any specific issue. The example sited was an actual event, but only stated to demonstrate how often something given completely with goodwill can become, not with malice, but meaningless to the point of unintended abuse.

(new lesson for me)
Never ask an unquantifiable question to a group. :rolleyes:

Irish
06-11-2004, 02:10 PM
PF---Long ago,I learned,that if someone does a good job,
compliment them or tell them that their work is good.They didn't
know,that I overheard them,but many years ago,at a town pier, I
over heard my old boss(business owner)talking to his competitor.
He asked him(My new boss)"What's he doing here?"New Boss---
"He's my new head mechanic."Old boss-"He's the best Foreman &
mechanic,that ever worked for me!"
I thought-"Why didn't he ever tell me that?I might still be there!"
He had given me large raises & always got the equipment,that I
asked for,but never told me that I did a good job.My lifestyle,
might not,have met his approval,but I made him ALOT of money!
I realised then that money isn't everything.Giving compliments to
employees,means alot! Irish
P.S.This was a boat manufacturing business.The boats started at
$200,000 before additions.(Basic Boat)This was OVER 15yrs ago.

huntersgirl
06-11-2004, 09:23 PM
So what lesson have you learned that has given you a personal philosophy in life?:D

Was this the question???? ;) :p

I have learned that if you are unsure it is wise to ask!:D

PantyFanatic
06-11-2004, 10:03 PM
LOL :D ----^

scotzoidman
06-12-2004, 03:41 AM
Never teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time & annoys the pig...

LixyChick
06-12-2004, 08:36 AM
OK...I'm back!

Thought about this all day, yesterday...and wouldn't ya know, it was the first thing that popped into my head as soon as I woke today. So, here it is. This is the only thing that kept coming to mind whenever I thought of this thread...

I've said it before and I'm sorry to be repetitive, but...Mom always told me that if you love someone (doesn't necessarily mean a lover), be sure to tell them and tell them often. There may come a time when you can no longer tell them...and regretting not telling them will haunt you the rest of your life! Case in point...I didn't get to see my father just before he passed. I just got back to Pa. from Fl. and was looking for a home. I could have said to hell with everything...dropped it all...and made the trek to N.J. to visit him while he was in the hospital...but I didn't because I thought his stay would be brief and I could visit later, when he went home. I spoke with my sister (who was watching over him), but never directly to him. He died suddenly and totally unexpectedly from something other than what he went in the hospital for. I hadn't spoken to him for nearly 6 months and now I never had the chance again. Oh sure, I had told him before that I loved him and had forgiven him for past differences...but, I could have told him one more time...and I didn't!

So...if you mean to say something to someone...SAY IT NOW...DON'T HESITATE! Who knows? A bus could run you or them over and you'll not have the chance if you or them are flat as a pancake!

And BTW...I love you guys!!!!!!!!

Oldfart
06-14-2004, 07:47 AM
And I you, Lixy.

I suspect a few others share this.