PDA

View Full Version : Last Kinda Funny Person Standing...

Aqua
06-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Anyone watch Last Comic Standing? I watched last nights episode and really felt that some of the finalists weren't very funny. I know humor is subjective... but jeez, I didn't think Todd Glass was very funny at all and he made the final cut. I did like Alonzo Bodden (the tall black man) and Jay London (4th from the left on the evolutionary chart) and they made the cut. I guess I just expected ten REALLY funny people and then for the funniest people to move on to the finals. Oh well... that's what I get for watching "reality" TV. :rolleyes:

wyndhy
06-17-2004, 01:42 PM
my brother and i were just talking about this the other day. whenever i see these kinds of shows i don't usually bother watching. they pick some of the most unfunny people to perform and the funny ones aren't all that great either. i know what you mean about humor being subjective but i don't think that people are all that particular about it... a funny is a funny is a funny for most everyone. you're better off just renting a stand-up act or catching one on tv.

aqua-may i recommend eddie izzrard? (sp) if you haven't seen him already, he is a real pisser. (knowing your sense of humor though, you probably have his stuff on VHS) :p

Lilith
06-17-2004, 03:49 PM
I watched and so far I like the chick who made it through last night.

Kissy
06-17-2004, 09:22 PM
I watched the first two episodes but missed this weeks. However I got an update from a friend who said that a lot of my favorites got cut and that the one I couldn't stand stayed. Oh well, some of them are funny so I'll be watching! I need a good laugh once in a while.

FallenAngel5
06-17-2004, 10:32 PM
OMG - I will admit, I stopped reading this thread when I saw the comment on Eddie Izzard, just so I could post. This man... is fucking hilarious. I was introduced to him by my friends at college, who have the same sick sense of humor that I do, and he is so funny. His comedy always has an intellectual slant... you gotta know something to think it's funny. Now I watch his HBO special every time it's on, and own all of his DVD's. :) For those new to Eddie, I recommend watching his special on HBO, or finding a way to see Dress To Kill... So good.

Now onto the original topic: I've watched all the shows so far, and there are some good ones. I really like Gary Gulman... though I am partial to tall, dark, Jewish men... :) and I liked Dan Ahdoot in the first show, but when he did the same set the second time around, I wasn't impressed. I did also like some of the same guys as you, Aqua, and I didn't like what I saw of Todd Glass in the pre-show stuff, but his set was pretty funny. I didn't like most of the women though, I don't know. Maybe they were just trying too hard. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

LixyChick
06-18-2004, 05:15 AM
I've been watching...but am not so up on the names yet. TY for the thread though Aqua! I can keep up this way. I always get distracted when I try to watch TV. Poor women...a man can work from sun to sun...yada, yada, yada! LOL!

skyler_m
06-18-2004, 06:59 AM
I watched all of last year. After Dat Phan won, I said I wouldn't watch again if they did it. I lied. I'm just addicted to stand up comedy!

I agree that a few of my favorites didn't make it; however, I will say this. 1. Stand up comedy plays MUCH differently live than on TV. 2. I've seen a few of these comedians on TV and they are much funnier than they appeared. Case in point is Todd Glass. I wasn't impressed with his set, but I have almost sprayed vodka tonics out my nose seeing him.

My biggest disappointment was that Norton couldn't perform in the semi-finals because of other contractual requirements. This man is straight out funny (if you like pissed off New York comedy). He was a side kick on a radio show based out of New York and has guest appearances on a few Comedy Central shows. He could have won this thing easily.