PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Candidates Arrested, Media Silent

Booger
10-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Is America still a free country?

What if some other country were having an election, and citizens were only allowed to hear from two government-approved candidates?

What if two other candidates, on the ballot in a majority of states and representing parties that drew over 3 million votes in the previous election, were arrested simply for trying to enter a debate?

What if all that happened, and the "watchdog" news media didn't tell the citizens about it?

Well, it happened in the good old US of A! Libertarian Michael Badnarik (on 49 state ballots) and Green David Cobb (on 28 state ballots), crossed a police line in St. Louis, and were arrested.

You would think that Fox News, CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, and MSNBC would be all over this affront to the democratic process, but no, not a peep.

Badnarik was also attempting to serve the Commission on Presidential Debates with a "Show Cause Order," issued by an Arizona judge, requiring the CPD to appear at a hearing concerning the Libertarian Party's lawsuit to stop the upcoming debate at Arizona State University, as an illegal campaign contribution to Bush and Kerry, an unconstitutional use of Arizona state funds to support selected candidates, and a violation of the LP's equal protection rights, since they are a recognized political party in Arizona.

If this happened in some other country, what would we call them? Undemocratic? Human rights violations? Unbelievable?

If you think America is a free country, you are sadly mistaken. If you think the news media aren't controlled by the same people who control the Democrat and Republican parties, think again.

Read all the details here:

http://www.badnarik.org

Booger
10-21-2004, 11:08 PM
just thought I would give everyone something to think about and maybe wonder if there is something wrong with the 2 party system

sodaklostsoul
10-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Interesting reading Babe, I'll have to do some more research.

PantyFanatic
10-21-2004, 11:50 PM
What if all that happened, and the "watchdog" news media didn't tell the citizens about it?
Sorry to tell you I’m not a bit surprised. :(
Think back to the conventions and tell me it’s not just a fucking show with hyp to occupy the masses while the whole thing goes on as it has since the beginning of “civilization”.

Isn’t that why we take our shoes off when we come to Pixies? To not track the shit of real life into something good?

dm383
10-22-2004, 03:49 AM
Sorry to tell you I’m not a bit surprised. :( .........

....... Isn’t that why we take our shoes off when we come to Pixies? To not track the shit of real life into something good?

ABSO-FECKN-LUTELY!

Well said PF. And thanx Booger, also.

I guess I'm showing my ignorance of American politics here, but I always did wonder why you guys only had two political parties. Over here, we have two main parties, Labour and Conservatives, but there are a whole host of others, from Nationalist parties in Scotland and Wales, Liberals, Greens, and many others.....including "The Monster Raving Loony" party! :)

It's interesting to find out you all DO have more than Democrat and Republican parties.... and not a little worrying to hear they are being quite blatantly and ruthlessly suppressed ~ shades of Latin America creeping in here??

Just my 2c.

DM

jseal
10-22-2004, 05:20 AM
...wonder why you guys only had two political parties...

dm383,

Someone must have left Mr. Nader off the CC list.

PantyFanatic
10-22-2004, 09:36 AM
... but I always did wonder why you guys only had two political parties. Over here, we have two main parties, Labour and Conservatives, but there ...
We DO have the other political parties present over here DM 383. I think (No, jseal. I don’t have the time right now to research the history of it.) the last time any party was of consequence happened during the Great Depression of the 30’s with the American Communist Party. That was followed by the McCarthy period. Not America’s proudest days.:o

Civics and history are interesting academic subjects but seldom true to the facts outside of the ivory towers. “Money is power” and “absolute power corrupts absolutely” has been the reality of the species as far back as we can see. Media is big business and focuses on the powers, (from both pressures outside and from within) and do a good job at putting on the show.

Of the last 4 presidential elections, I voted Libertarian 3 times to state my dissatisfaction with the present functioning of the system. Not because I don’t have major problems with them, but to add credence for a change in the performance of our government, not a replacement of it.

As much as I am a cynic, it still seems the best option to total anarchy and less abusive to the peons that serve it, than any other system to date. As long as the worlds monetary system remains as it is, this is the way it will be.

Just one misanthropic nickels worth.:cool:

jseal
10-22-2004, 10:02 AM
PantyFanatic,

I hope sodaklostsoul reads this post!

wyndhy
10-22-2004, 03:17 PM
As long as the worlds monetary system remains as it is, this is the way it will be.

i remember hearing a quote in my college poli-sci class about democracy and money and it went something like this: a democracy cannot last forever. it will only function until voters learn to vote themselves money from the public treasury. when this happens, the majority will *always* vote for the candidate promising the most money and eventually the democracy will collapse due to it's loose fiscal policies. ~sir someone-or-other :rolleyes (can't remember who)

for some reason, this idea has always stuck with me. the quote went on to say something about how democracies will always collapse at around 200yrs and are then followed by dictatorships.

now, i'm not sayin that the US will be suddenly thrown into oppresive rule, but therei s something to this, i think. if you ask most people why they'd vote for (insert candidate's name here), the answer almost always has to do with how that candidate's policies will affect their income, insurance costs, taxes, etc. and now, at approximately 200 years of democracy, the US's debt increases by about a trillion dollars every three or four years. the candidates are always promising "more money for you", increasing our debt, never ever working to decrease it. how can we go on like this and expect to remain the "world leader" they claim we are? we're more like that college roomie who took off without paying the rent or electric, 'cept the govnment didn't leave any CD's behind we could hock to cover the bills. sooner or later, we must pay the piper. i just hope it insn't with our individual rights.

sodaklostsoul
10-22-2004, 04:06 PM
PantyFanatic,

I hope sodaklostsoul reads this post!
Yes I read it. My reply will be in you thread Citizen, Patriot or Hero.

PantyFanatic
10-22-2004, 08:37 PM
...My reply will be in you thread Citizen, Patriot or Hero.
Mines there too. ;)

PalaceGuard
10-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Booger - What were the two arrested/charged with?

Scarecrow
10-23-2004, 04:05 PM
The debates are put on by private groups (such as NOW) and are an invite only affair.

PalaceGuard
10-24-2004, 07:20 AM
Scarecrow - So they probably got arrested for trespass?