Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Strange Days (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15165)

Steph 10-05-2003 10:44 AM

Re: Maybe I better not.

Quote:
Originally posted by pantyfanatic
I’ve been following this thread for so long….. I thought it was time I contributed. Then I posted for the wrong day.:o (for god sake, don’t tell Steph. She busts my chops enough as is.:rolleyes: )

Don't worry, PF - it's an easy mistake to make :)

dm383 10-06-2003 02:01 AM

October 6th

Two men who "fried" in the electric chair today in 1941, in Florida, were named.........Wilburn and Frizzel.

This day in 1968, British drivers Jackie Swteart, Graham Hill and John Surtees took the first three places in the U.S. Grand Prix.

In 1978, Ann Dadds became Britains first ever female Tube (London Underground train) driver, on the District Line from Plaistow, East London.

As soon as the new British Rail timetables appeared on this day in 1990, a further 76-page booklet had to be released correcting over 1000 errors in the originals.... Train passengers would probably have found the originals MORE accurate!!

Steph 10-06-2003 10:21 AM

On Oct. 6, 1981, Egyptian President Anwar Sadat was shot to death by extremists while reviewing a military parade

PantyFanatic 10-06-2003 11:22 AM

New York~ 6 October 1927
The first spoken voice in a feature film, that of Al Jolson in The Jazz Singer, brought the audience to its feet applauding when it was shown today. In the middle of a night club sequence, Jolson suddenly spoke: “Wait a minute, wait a minute,” he said. “You ain’t heard nothin’ yet!” In another part of the film he sits at the piano exchanging lines with his mother between verses of Blue Skies.

Steph 10-06-2003 12:00 PM

Do you remember that moment like it was yesterday, PF? :D

PantyFanatic 10-06-2003 12:12 PM

I have my ticket stub in my scrap book.;) lol

Steph 10-06-2003 12:18 PM

:)

good comeback!

dm383 10-07-2003 04:21 AM

October 7th

Palestinian terrorists seized the Italian cruise ship Achille Lauro in 1985, throwing a wheelchair-bound US tourist overboard

In 1571 at Lepanto, in the last major battle conducted by war galleys, allied Christian forces defeated the Ottoman Turks, who lost 117 galleys and thousands of men.

In 1946 Alan Ivieson presented the first-ever edition of Woman's Hour broadcast by the BBC; it included an item on "How to de-slime your flannels"! (As in trousers!!! :eek: )

In 1977, 90 pairs of Swedish identical twins, in matching outfits, came to Felixstowe, England for a shopping trip. Researchers were watching to see if the siblings bought similar clothes.

dicksbro 10-07-2003 05:59 AM

And who said football is low scoring ... in 1916, 222 points are scored in a football game between Georgia Tech & Cumberland University of Lebanon, Tennessee.

1st London-Amsterdam airline service begins (Brit Aerial Transport) in 1919.

And, just for Sharni, in 1924, Marble Bar, Australia began a series of 100 consecutive days of 100 degrees or more.

Steph 10-08-2003 10:00 AM

On Oct. 8, 1982, all labor organizations in Poland, including Solidarity, were banned.

WildIrish 10-08-2003 10:11 AM

October 8, 1919: Sixty-three planes take off from San Francisco and New York in the first transcontinental air race in the United States.

dm383 10-08-2003 03:36 PM

October 8th

A Kuwaiti man in court for shooting his sister-in-law in 1995 claimed that she had made his wife ill through witchcraft. Islamic law allows the killing of witches. He was convicted of her murder Awwwwww!! ;)

Today in 1992 a pair of pointed rubber ears, worn by Leonard Nimoy as "Mr. Spock" in the Star Trek TV series, sold for £700 at an auction in London.

The 580ft Post Office Tower opened today in 1965, in Maple Strret, London, with a revolving restaurant and viewing galleries (later closed to the public following IRA bomb threats)

A Rembrandt painting found discarded on a platform at a Munich station in 1986, was recognised as one that had been stoled FOUR times in 16 years from a gallery in Dulwich, London.

Steph 10-09-2003 08:13 AM

On Oct. 9, 1967, Latin American guerrilla leader Che Guevara was executed in Bolivia while attempting to incite revolution.

PantyFanatic 10-09-2003 08:56 AM

Paris France~ 9 October 1945
Pierre Laval, prime minister of Vichy France, is sentenced to death.

dm383 10-09-2003 03:29 PM

October 9th

Quote:
On Oct. 9, 1967, Latin American guerrilla leader Che Guevara was executed in Bolivia while attempting to incite revolution.
In addition to this, the soldiers also amputated his hands, for identification purposes!!

Today in 1973 Elvis Presley divorced Priscilla; she got - $1½ million, plus $4,200 a month; half the sale of their house ($750,000) and 5% of his publishing companies. Nice work, if you can get it!! :)

In 1897, Henry Strurmey set off in his 4.5bhp Daimler from Land's End in Cornwall, to become the first person to drive to John O'Groats, the most northerly point in Scotland. He completed the 929-mile journey on the 19th.

Three armed men raided the Turkish baths in London's Jermyn Street in 1955, but the well-heeled customers weren't wearing much and the robbers' haul totalled........ £7!!!

Steph 10-09-2003 11:27 PM

(didn't know that about poor Che's hands!)

Just heard on the way home from work that on this date in 1955, David Lee Roth was born :)

PantyFanatic 10-10-2003 08:35 AM

Britain~ 10 October 1903

Emmeline Pankhurst founds the Woman's Social and Political Union.

dm383 10-10-2003 03:48 PM

October 10th

After being fired, postman Joseph M Harris kills four mail handlers in Wayne, New Jersey in 1991

Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher gave her memorably defiant speech at the Tory party conference in Brighton in 1980... "U-turn if you want to. The lady's not for turning".

The first performance of George Gershwin's Porgy And Bess, featuring the songs "Summertime" and "I've Got Plenty Of Nothin'" was in New York in 1935.

The Marquis de Montreval, who brutally put down peasants who rebelled against a heavy tax on salt, died of fright in 1716......... when a salt-cellar was accidentally spilled on him!!

Finally....... today is International Mental Health Awareness Day.

Steph 10-11-2003 12:50 AM

Wow, I don't remember that Thatcher quote. I'll have to look it up.

Steph 10-11-2003 03:17 AM

On Oct. 11, 1968, Apollo 7, the first manned Apollo mission, was launched with astronauts Wally Schirra, Donn Fulton Eisele and R. Walter Cunningham aboard.

Steph 10-11-2003 03:22 AM

Here's the news story from then, if anyone's interested:

The Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has made a defiant speech to Conservatives at the party conference in Brighton.

In it she stressed her determination to stick to tough economic policies despite doubts expressed within Tory ranks.

Responding to recent expectations of an about-turn on counter-inflationary policies, Mrs Thatcher declared to widespread cheers:

""To those waiting with bated breath for that favourite media catchphrase, the U-turn, I have only one thing to say: You turn if you want to. The lady's not for turning!"

Outside in the rain, 'Right to Work' protesters demonstrated, two of whom managed to breach security and make their voices heard in the hall.

But her speech did acknowledge the plight of the country's two million unemployed.

"Let me make it clear beyond doubt. I am profoundly concerned about unemployment," she said.

She added: "Human dignity and self-respect are undermined when men and women are condemned to idleness."

The Prime Minister expressed her commitment to reducing inflation which she said was beginning to fall, reminding delegates it was the "parent of unemployment".

She also claimed a number of measures imposed by her government in its first 17 months in office as successes.

This included the "first crucial changes" in trade union law, the breaking down of monopoly powers and allowing council tenants the chance to buy their homes.

Mrs Thatcher condemned Soviet foreign policy and in particular its present occupation of Afghanistan.

In response to the recent demonstrations by Polish ship-workers, she praised their resolve to "participate in the shaping of their destiny", and their actions as testament to a crisis in Communism.

Her closing words were reserved for criticism of Labour and votes cast at its party conference in favour of withdrawal from NATO and the EEC.

"Let Labour's Orwellian nightmare of the Left be a spur for us to dedicate with a new urgency our every ounce of energy and moral strength to rebuild the fortunes of this free nation," she said.

dm383 10-11-2003 12:07 PM

October 11th

A 64-yr old man died in Japan in 1996 during a tug-of-war to celebrate ..... National Fitness Day!!!

In 1987, a huge search of Loch Ness for the famous monster, using high-tech sonar devices, was called off, having failed to find any trace of Nessie. What they failed to realise, of course, is that Nessie KNEW they were there, and simply hid from them in her secret cave at the bottom of the Loch!! :)

The first ever chart entry by a new group called The Beatles entered the Top 50 at number 49 today in 1962. The single was called "Love Me Do"

William Saville was such an ardent Royalist, that when he lost the Battle of Winceby to Cromwell in 1643, he ordered his home to be burned down rather than see it used by Roundheads!!

dm383 10-12-2003 06:24 AM

October 12th

Forty-foot waves generated by the Great Bengal Cyclone of 1737 swamped 20,000 boats and drowned 300,000 people

On this day in 1967 zoologist Desmond Morris stunned the world with the publication of his book The Naked Ape which likened human behaviour to that of the apes

In 1492, Christopher Columbus first set eyes onthe New World, calling it San Salvador. Later that day, he and his crew landed on Watling Island.

The earliest known printed secular song is "Three Blind Mice", published in London today in 1609.

Steph 10-12-2003 09:10 AM

On Oct. 12, 1870, Gen. Robert E. Lee died in Lexington, Va., at age 63.

PantyFanatic 10-12-2003 10:45 AM

Brazil- 12 Oct 1822
Dom Pedro, 24-year-old son and heir to King John VI, today declaired himself constitutional emperor of Brazil.
Once seen as a dissolute young man, Pedro has come to symbolize the nation’s hope for independence in the face of Lisbon’s efforts to reduce Brazil once again to the status of a dependent colony.
Last month Portugal annulled all his acts. His response was simple: “The hour has come! Independence or death!”

Steph 10-13-2003 09:13 AM

On Oct. 13, 1943, Italy declared war on Germany, its one-time Axis partner.

dm383 10-13-2003 03:27 PM

October 13th

A British holidaymaker was killed in Spain in 1996 when he fell from a second-floor (3rd floor in the U.S.)balcony while showing off his skill at throwing a melon into a municipal bin.

In 1992 the government announced plans to close one-third of Britain's deep coal mines, putting 31,000 miners out of work.

Labour party leader Ramsey MacDonald made the first ever election broadcast on behalf of his party on BBC radio in 1924.

Mary Allen, of Berkhamstead, Hertfordshire, was allowed to divorce her husband of 29 years in 1983, on the grounds that he kept ignoring her and forgetting her birthday!!

(Damn, if I'd known it was THAT easy................:))

dm383 10-14-2003 03:20 AM

October 14th

King Harold gets an arrow in his eye at the Battle f Hastings in 1066, and Brits all start learning French!! :)

Today in 1947, pilot Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier for the first time, in the Bell X-1 rocket plane 'Glamorous Glennis', over what is now Edwards Air Force base in California. (What I wanna know is, did they take it out of his pay-check?)

A total of 127 babies were presented for judging at the world's first baby show, which took place at Springfield, Illinois, in 1854

A parliament convened by King Henry VII in 1495 passed a statute regulating the content of bed-stuffing, requiring that it be good, clean feathers, NOT dirty old horse-hair!

dicksbro 10-14-2003 03:59 AM

The 1908 Cubs beat the Detroit Tigers 4 games to 1 in the World Series.

dm383 10-14-2003 04:47 AM

*Why is it called the World Series, when it's only played in North America?

Just a thought!! :D

DM

Steph 10-14-2003 08:48 AM

On Oct. 14, 1964, civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. was named winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

dm383 10-14-2003 03:58 PM

On this day in 1962, the world comes thisclose to total nuclear annihilation when photographs taken by a U-2 spy plane offer incontrovertible proof that the Soviets had set up missile bases in the island nation of Cuba. That put Soviet nukes a mere 90 miles off the American coastline. During the next two weeks, Nikita Kruschev and John F. Kennedy played the highest-stakes game of chess ever played in the history of humankind. Thank Godzilla it ended in a twenty-eight-year stalemate.

On this day in 1977, child-abusing crooner Bing Crosby dies of a heart attack at 74 while vacationing in Madrid, Spain. Two months later, the Bingster records his last ever Christmas special.

(Thanks to www.dailydirt.com for these!)

dm383 10-15-2003 05:18 AM

October 15th

Mata Hari, full-time dancer and part-time spy, is executed by firing squad in Paris in 1917.

Today in 1839, Queen Victoria nervoudly proposed marriage to her 'beautiful' first cousin, Prince Albert. After a whirlwind courtship, they married in February 1840. (D'you reckon she was 'in the family way'? ;))

The first-evet major ballet was a five-hour spectacle, choreographed by Balthazar de Beaujoyeulx, for Catherine de Medici and an audience of 10,000 at her palace in Paris in 1581.

William Golding was disappointed when his classic novel Lord Of The Flies, published today in 1954, was chosen as an 'O'-level text. He thought it was tough enough for 'A'-level students! (I think he was a bit 'full of himself' :) )

DM

Steph 10-15-2003 09:28 AM

LOL DM - I didn't think the book was that difficult! Sheesh :)

dm383 10-15-2003 03:45 PM

hehehe.... nor did I hon, but Mr. Golding obviously did!! Like I said, "full of himself" :D (means, "full of his own importance", don't ya know!! ;))

DM

dicksbro 10-16-2003 04:20 AM

Beat ya' today, dm. :D

In 1982, Mt Palomar Observatory was the first to detect Halley's comet on it's 13th return
Also, in 1982 Shultz (Sec of State) warned that the US would withdraw from UN if they voted to exclude Israel
In 1983, my favorite baseball team, the Baltimore Orioles beat Philadelphia Phillies, 4 games to 3 in the 80th World Series

Steph 10-16-2003 09:10 AM

On Oct. 16, 1964, China detonated its first atomic bomb.

PantyFanatic 10-16-2003 09:36 AM

Constantinople- 16 October 610
Heraclius, son of the governor of Africa, attacks Constantinople with his fleet. The people rise in his favour: Phocas is seized and executed. Beset by barbarian attacks and religious and political divisions, the empire is on the point of collapse.

PantyFanatic 10-16-2003 09:41 AM

CONSISTENCY!

That’s what I like:)

Politacs- Religon- War-

LMAO

dm383 10-16-2003 05:04 PM

October 16th

Marie "Let them eat cake" Antoinette met her doom at the guillotine today in 1793

In 1978, Cardinal Karol Wojtyla, Archbishop of Cracow, became Pope, taking the name John Paul II (in memory of his short-lived predecessor). He was the first non_Italian to be elevated to the position since 1522.

The first hotel with ensuite bathrooms (and towels!) was the Tremont House in Boston, Massachussetts, which opened its doors to guests today in 1829.

Long after they have ceased to exist, the word "borstal" is still used for a detention centre for youths, after the first such facility opened at Borstal, near Rochester, Kent, in 1902.

DM

FYI "borstal" is the old term for a juvenile detention centre..... kinda like kiddy prison!