Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Last Is Gone (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35563)

PantyFanatic 07-08-2011 11:05 AM

The Last Is Gone

I watched the first touch down, along with people from neighboring factories, on a small B&W TV. :(

Scarecrow 07-08-2011 12:38 PM

I remember when the first Mercury ship went straight up and came right back down. That was the first time man had been in space. And now it all seems to be over.

PantyFanatic 07-08-2011 02:16 PM

:nod:

gekkogecko 07-08-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
I remember when the first Mercury ship went straight up and came right back down. That was the first time man had been in space. And now it all seems to be over.

Incorrect on both counts. Gagarin beat Sheppard into space, and people in general, and Americans in particular will be on the international space station for at least the next year. Log after Atlantis has returned.

But really, next stop for us should be Mars.

Oldfart 07-08-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

He was the first American in space, although there's an argument that Scott Crossfield beat him in the X-15.

An almost unknown Russian by the name of Yuri Gagarin beat Al Shepard jr into space, and he did a full orbit.

PantyFanatic 07-08-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
.....An almost unknown Russian by the name of Yuri Gagarin ......

Not quite as unknown as some agencies would have preferred at the time and certainly well known in the eastern hemisphere.

ScarCrow is right though about the first US rush of rockets after Sputnik in 57. There was a lot of criticism for giving the world grandstand seats to the literal flops of it's sudden entry into the space age. The laughing stopped as the world watch the USA put it's full attention to a new task again to produce success and results that has benefited every person around the world in everyday life. As part of this new direction for mankind, NASA produced this shuttle program that gave us Hubble and made the ISS possible, to point at only a couple accomplishments. The knowledge advancements for the specie has been greater than any other individual effort in history and in less time. This happened in a different time with different people. :(

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

dicksbro 07-09-2011 03:24 AM

I find it a bit disgraceful that we are now dependent on Russia for transporting astronauts into space. Oh well, maybe in the next year or two we can buy rockets from China. :(

PantyFanatic 07-09-2011 08:14 AM

This is among a number of things some of us find disappointing for MY country.

Quote:
......a different time with different people.

jseal 07-09-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:
... And now it all seems to be over.

That part of it is.

Lord Snow 07-09-2011 08:51 AM

If you think about it, decommissioning the space shuttle somewhat makes sense. The technology it uses is far surpassed by our smart phones. That's not to say it doesn't still work just fine, but should probably be updated. Who is to say that NASA isn't going to design and build something that could take us, not just to the space station and the moon, but to Mars as well? I don't think of it as the end, but just a pause so that the next chapter is even better.

jseal 07-09-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Snow
... Who is to say that NASA isn't going to design and build something that could take us, not just to the space station and the moon, but to Mars as well? ...

Congress & the White House.

Lord Snow 07-09-2011 10:22 AM

Both of which are more than willing to spend the tax payers dollars for anything these days. Besides, I never said when it might happen. Could be in 20 years when they finally develop something like that. Could be another 50. All I'm saying is it's a possibility.

Scarecrow 07-09-2011 06:09 PM

I am afraid that as far as the USA is concerned NASA and the space program is dead unless private money becomes involved. The government is giving all of our money to their own causes.

Oldfart 07-09-2011 06:17 PM

I don't like the idea of having to get a visa from the Chinese or the Indians to visit the Moon or Mars.

dicksbro 07-10-2011 04:33 AM

Let's see ... we can borrow the money from China to hitch a ride on a Russian rocket. What happens if we get a man up there and the Chinese decide not to lend us the money to bring him home? :shrug:

Just asking.