Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Watch pocket (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31382)

PantyFanatic 08-07-2007 05:02 PM

Watch pocket

*pause* :rolleyes:

*smerk* :)

*snicker* :D

"Watch pocket? Is that what you call that? I never heard it called that." :)

"What do you call it?"

"That's my 'coin pocket'" :D

That ^^^ is a conversation I had with my barber while sitting in his chair last week. :nod: (YES! I have a barber! :rofl: )

My regular barber is around 40 with a kid in high school and one in grade school. He's a serious amateur photographer with the basement studio that is going into digital kicking and screaming all the way. Part of my time in his chair each month involves why he should be shooting pixels, not chemical strips and why he doesn't like computers. :sad: LOL The cell phone topic came up and how he keeps his in his car 'for emergencies' and only brings it in each Friday to charge it up. During the conversation, the term "watch pocket" came out and we chuckled about who of the guys setting along the mirror, waiting their turn in the four chair shop, knew they had a "watch pocket" in their pants. ROFL

When I was through, I walked over to a younger (late teen, early 20's) guy and asked if he had a watch pocket in his pants. The startled, confused look said it all when he asked if I meant "the little pocket' as the retired gentleman next to him smiled at me and chuckled.

I turned to my Barber and announced "I have the first one right" and went down the line with "he does, he doesn't, he doesn't, he does...." I walked out the door listening to anybody over 50 laughing and everybody talking loudly to the guy on either side of him. :D

What common words, terms, names of things are different for you than someone else, whether due to age gap, style change, regional reference or whatever. Is the sill cock on your house a 'faucet' or 'spicket'?

(mine's a 'faucet') ;)

Lilith 08-07-2007 05:05 PM

The spigot is outside a faucet is inside :p

Lilith 08-07-2007 05:06 PM

Oh and my Gramps was a watch repairman. Watch pocket.

Winston77 08-07-2007 05:10 PM

It's a watch pocket and I still use a pocket watch

spigot

IowaMan 08-07-2007 05:20 PM

Yep, spigot and watch pocket.

Fangtasia 08-07-2007 06:23 PM

Coin pocket...and its a tap wether its inside or out *L*

jay-t 08-07-2007 06:25 PM

yes I have a watch pocket ,I don't have a spigot or a faucet, I have a water hydrant.
And thongs are not panties they are shoes!

Oldfart 08-07-2007 07:08 PM

I'm with OrliFanatic.

Scarecrow 08-07-2007 07:15 PM

Jay-t has it right on all three

Teddy Bear 08-07-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantyFanatic
..... Is the sill cock on your house a 'faucet' or 'spicket'?

(mine's a 'faucet') ;)

"the sill cock"???

Its a faucet and a watch pocket.

As for other words:
When shopping I put my items in a grocery cart.
I drink soda, not pop.
We eat grinders, not subs.
When cold those are goose bumps, not goose pimples. ewww!

Theres more but I can't think of them right now.

WildIrish 08-08-2007 10:54 AM

Of course it's a watch pocket!

And I have three sill cocks, but can't use the phrase or my family will snicker. One location has a double! :p

I can't talk about the ball cock or threaded nipples either.

scotzoidman 08-08-2007 11:39 AM

I know it's a watch pocket, but since I've never had a watch that wasn't intended to be on a 2-inch strap of leather around my wrist, it is my official "guitar pick pocket" ...perfect size for the big-ass triangle picks I use that look like Doritos...

It's a faucet to me, but I have to grin at PF's alternative spelling, because certain family members always said, "spickit"...and btw...

around here you connect a "hosepipe" to the outdoor "spickit"...

and on our feet, we wear "flip-flops"...thongs go up the crack of yer ass...

Winston77 08-08-2007 01:07 PM

Types and Uses of Modern Pockets

The modern pocket is a tool with various uses and styles, and it can be found in almost every article of men's and casual women's attire in a variety of forms. Here are just a few examples:

Watch-pocket - Essential for keeping a gentleman's pocket watch. Often found on the man's vest or even on his trousers. The watch had a chain or a fob, to prevent it from being lost, and this pocket sometimes could be called the 'fob pocket'.

Breast pocket - Located on the outer left-hand side of a gentleman's jacket, it must contain nothing more than a pocket-handkerchief and is for display only.

Inner breast pocket - Found on the inside of the jacket. It's normal to have two of them, for carrying a wallet or pen, or legal papers such as a passport.

Ticket pocket - This is a small pocket inside the right-hand waist pocket on a jacket and is used in previous times for carrying small cardboard rail tickets. These days, it might be used to store your business cards or other light items (such as a lucky coin).

Coin pocket - This is a small pocket inside the right-hand hip pocket on a pair of jeans. It's a rather tight fit, but its design is quite effective at keeping your loose coins from rattling around.

Cargo pockets - These pockets appear commonly on trendy jeans and cargo pants as a large pocket on the thigh, usually with snap-flaps or Velcro flaps, and accordion folds in the sides for increased capacity. It's believed these first appeared on battle dress uniforms.

Winston77 08-08-2007 01:09 PM

spigˇot [ spíggət ] (plural spigˇots)

noun

Definition:

1. U.S. indoor faucet: an indoor faucet

2. U.S. outdoor faucet: a faucet situated outdoors

3. tap fitted to cask: a tap, usually wooden, that is attached to a cask

4. plug for cask hole: a plug for the vent hole of a cask

[14th century. Origin ?]

Regional History

The word spigot for an indoor faucet spreads southward and westward out of Pennsylvania, where it yields to the New England term faucet in the northernmost counties. To the west, faucet and tap are usual in the Inland North. In the Upper Midwest and Western states, the form spicket reflects Midland and Southern influence.

themi01 08-08-2007 01:40 PM

Watch pocket spigot both in and out (think it's a Philly thing) like porkroll and scrapple .... Oh and Winston the hole in a cask is a bung hole and the plug is a bung plug ..... I kid you not !