Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   You're sick kid, grow up. (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21554)

Belial 07-29-2004 07:49 AM

You're sick kid, grow up.

Along with much laughter, I have also gotten occasional outrage in response to my "nothing's sacred" attitude to humour. Those outraged have been heard to claim that I am sick and should grow up. Personally I believe that it is them who is sick and in need of maturation.

Am I misguided here?

Grumble 07-29-2004 08:16 AM

nope I am much the same myself, I enjoyed Irish's arab joke immensly and laugh at the dark jokes that come from tragedy.

perhaps it is a way of coping with life

scotzoidman 07-29-2004 09:27 AM

If maturity means I can't enjoy the occassional sick joke (or any other kind of humor), I don't wanna grow up...

Nice Guy 07-29-2004 09:30 AM

Same here.

Irish 07-29-2004 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman
If maturity means I can't enjoy the occassional sick joke (or any other kind of humor), I don't wanna grow up...

I agree!To really enjoy yourself,you can't run your life,to others standards!
Being a good person is what really counts! Irish
P.S.At one time,another senior member,suggested that I put a "smiley" face,
so that people,would know that I was kidding.Sometimes,even that doesn't
stop people,from being offended.Everyones humor is different! :rolleyes:

gekkogecko 07-29-2004 09:52 AM

Belial,
we both know that you're sick.

What does that have to do with growing up? I refuse to do it.

Lilith 07-29-2004 10:14 AM

I have no problem with sick or even morbid humor (all a process of life) and do not see a correllation to maturity. However I find sexist, racist humor to be unappealing.

Steph 07-29-2004 10:22 AM

I'm with Lilith there.

I like your sense of humour, Belial, but I can see people being offended by some of the jokes (while we are LOLing at them). :)

Catch22 07-29-2004 10:28 AM

Keep in mind Belial is Australian and our humour has, like the English a lot of sarcasm and irony in it. A cultural thing.

jseal 07-29-2004 10:54 AM

Belial,

Some years ago, a Greek suggested that comedy represents human beings as "worse than they are," but noted that comic characters are not necessarily evil, just ridiculous and laughable.

Once your audience is large enough, your comic characters are bound to offend someone.

It is wise to not offend the powers that be. They are often unforgiving.

Eros 07-29-2004 02:08 PM

"I dont' wanna grow up, I"m a Toys R Us kid...."....LOL

MilkToast 07-29-2004 04:50 PM

please see signature line below for my opinions on all of this...

dicksbro 07-29-2004 07:12 PM

You all said it well. No problem here, either.

Loulabelle 07-29-2004 09:39 PM

LOL - what you have to remember, Belial, is that people often respond with 'shock' to something that is 'sick' because they know they should. It's almost like a role that they play in the banter.

I know for me, nothing shocks or embarasses me, but if someone says something in a situation where I SHOULD be embarassed (like when my other half makes a slightly inappropriate joke to the waitress in a restaurant or something) then I'll play the part of being shocked and respond with something like: 'Oh my God, darling! You can't say that! That's awful!'. It's almost like a way of acknowledging that someone's said something funny, but at the same time making it clear that you realise that what's being said is not socially acceptable, and that it is not in fact your personal opinion at all.

You'd soon know if someone REALLY had a problem with what you said: they probably wouldn't talk to you anymore, so I really wouldn't worry about it sweetie. Bollocks to whether other people think you should grow up, anyway......we are all growing up our whole lives and at different rates, so no one else can speed up the process for you.

osuche 07-29-2004 10:12 PM

I try not to get offended by what others say ~ life is too short to tie yourself up in knots. I have much better things to do with my time.

Of course, I tend to enjoy your sense of humor, Belial. :D