Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best Concert? (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6169)

Lilith 02-16-2002 10:15 PM

Best Concert?

What was the best concert you ever attended? Who and when? (if you were not so stoned that the typical time/space continuim was unreliable):D

Boru 02-16-2002 10:28 PM

Irish Rovers

I love your posts, Lilith! Always original and enjoyable.

This will probably sound weird to most members, but my favorite concert was the Irish Rovers in the late '80s (before Jimmy Ferguson died and Will Millar quit) Great music, good storytelling, funny jokes, and these guys were having so much fun that you couldn't help but sing and smile along with them.

BORU

Nubian 02-16-2002 10:39 PM

"One Love" concert that attempted (unsuccesfully) to unite the 2 feuding political parties in Jamaica.

Not really a concert but I visited a Rastarfarian "commune" in the 1970 with 2 uncles who were followers of the religion. Any way there was this charismatic youth, with budding Dreadlocks, working on a tune and who kept repeating the line "one good thing about music" over and over again. The place, Trench Town in Kinston, Jamaica; the tune "Trench Town Rock." The artist, Robert Nesta Marley!

--True story.

mindboxer505 02-16-2002 10:46 PM

first is best

Eventhough I've had some great times at various concerts, the best was the first. It was around my birthday and i was in the Navy. I had been to some at a place in Norfolk called The boathouse, but not a real concert. my best friend's boy wanted to go see KISS/CRAZY NIGHTS TOUR. so for my birthday they bought me a ticket, some fine dining , and a little spending money for us to have some fun afterward. after the meal, they dropped us off at the concert. I met a ladyfriend there and eric met some of his friends. I made sure eric kept in control and I had a little fun with my friend. I can't remember who opened for them, but that was the best!!!!:D :D

Prophet Reality 02-17-2002 01:41 AM

Depeche Mood

scotzoidman 02-17-2002 05:47 AM

Tough call, Lil... may have to reply in installments, sorta like picking a favorite noodle in a spaghetti dinner... but Nubian's story brings to mind seeing Joe Walsh & Barnstorm back in 1973, good as they were, the best part was the opening act... a young, as-yet-undiscovered singer/songwriter Joe introduced as "Danny" Fogelburg! I had snuck my cassette recorder in, so somewhere I have my own personal bootleg of the whole show! His solo accoustic version of "(Someone's been telling you) Stories" was hair-raising, and I got to hear it (& several other songs) months before the album versions came out!

Quote:
(if you were not so stoned that the typical time/space continuim was unreliable)
Robin Williams said it; "If you can remember Woodstock, you weren't really there!"

luv2please 02-17-2002 07:35 AM

Sorry to prove Robin wrong, Scotz, but I can remember Woodstock and I was there. It wasn't as much a concert as an unplanned social experiment. I was 17 at the time and ended up working as a volunteer in a make-shift hospital (tent) where they were bringing in people comming down from bad acid. Believe me, its something I will never forget! BTW, the best concert I ever saw was the Chambers Brothers, the Amboy Dukes, and Blood Sweat and Tears at the Filmore east. I guess I have pretty much dated myself with this post!;)

2-4-tea 02-17-2002 07:42 AM

I have been to several good concerts in 1987 I saw Def Lappard on there Hysteria tour and the rocked from the round . The most fun at a concert was the Beach Boys, and the best future preformer I saw was Chris Cagel. Overall though Iiwas have to go with Def Leppard though

Lovediva 02-18-2002 06:51 AM

Garth Brooks!!!

And when I was a teenager...it had to be KISS and OZZIE :D :D

mindboxer505 02-18-2002 12:00 PM

iron maiden

i got to thinking about this one at work yesterday and i remember another one ............the first ship i was on stayed in naples italy for six months and some of us got permission(after doing some wheeling and dealing with our time off) and was able to go to an IRON MAIDEN CONCERT.It was strange cause none of us spoke italian, but we had a great time with the guys and gals there. bout half way through the concert i looked up and noticed kind of a smoky cloud above us. none of us really knew what it was til we took a deep whiff, you guessed it .....''mary jane'' was present. we thought we'd be in deep shit. but when we reported back to the ship we saw the duty officer and took a piss test to cover our mutual ass and got away with no probs. that one was great cause it showed how alike and different we all can be in our likes and dislikes, but have fun still...........did have a buzzzzzzz for a few hours that morning though.......:yellghst:

Ophelia 02-18-2002 03:48 PM

Hands Down...

Now I have very eclectic musical tastes, but the best concert I ever remember was DAVE MATTHEWS BAND at Red Rocks in the late 90's. '96 or '97...I don't remember.

Other greats:
AC/DC
Lilith Fair 2000 (the last one)
Tina Turner

I really think artists can make or break their careers with a good tour, so I always try to see people I really like live!

Ophelia

Fang 02-18-2002 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubian
"One Love" concert that attempted (unsuccesfully) to unite the 2 feuding political parties in Jamaica.

Not really a concert but I visited a Rastarfarian "commune" in the 1970 with 2 uncles who were followers of the religion. Any way there was this charismatic youth, with budding Dreadlocks, working on a tune and who kept repeating the line "one good thing about music" over and over again. The place, Trench Town in Kinston, Jamaica; the tune "Trench Town Rock." The artist, Robert Nesta Marley!

--True story.

That's just too cool Nubian. I knew you were hip, but man, you so hip!

Fang 02-18-2002 04:04 PM

Alice Cooper

Gotta give props to the master of macabrock. Saw it two years ago right before Halloween. Since the Coop's been off the bottle, his stage show's have gotten much tighter and he's just a beast on stage. His presence oozes out over the audience and fills the concert hall. The theatrics were top notch. Alice being guilliotined, piecing him back together in a giant machine, the creepy props all of it! His music was fantastic too. He did some old stuff, some old, old stuff, and some of the better stuff from his new album. All around, had to be my favorite show of all time.

QTPie 02-18-2002 08:02 PM

Hmmm... I would have to say Tim McGraw & Faith Hill's Soul2Soul Tour 2000 (Saw it 3 times!) or Tim McGraw's Set This Circus Down Tour 2001 with Kenny Chesney (Saw that 4 times!). :cool: Obsessed? WHO ME??? :D

Back when I was younger, I'd have to say Def Leppard w/ Europe was great. So was REO Speedwagon w/ Richard Marx! My first concert ever was Ratt/Poison!! :p

jay 02-18-2002 11:24 PM

NIRVANA !!!!

I was at there last north amarican concert other than the unpluged show it was at maple leaf gardens in toronto the meat puppets opened and the whole show was just amazing