Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New release of LOTR DVD's (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28886)

1nutworld 08-31-2006 04:54 PM

New release of LOTR DVD's

I just saw an advertisement for the LOTR Trilogy on 2-disc DVD set.

I have the original "Special Expanded edition" DVD's of each movie.

Does anyone know if this is something- Better?? -for lack of a more appropriate term?

wyndhy 09-01-2006 03:20 PM

i think movies that do this are just trying to make more and more money. i'm sure there are more extras, and there's the "director's cut" stuff and interviews and how-we-mades, but i feel like if you've already spent a boatload on the first release (and the lotr ones were NOT cheap) it's a waste to buy them all over again. maybe as collector's items, i guess. otherwise you're just feeding the greed machine.

Aqua 09-01-2006 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutworld
I just saw an advertisement for the LOTR Trilogy on 2-disc DVD set.

I have the original "Special Expanded edition" DVD's of each movie.

Does anyone know if this is something- Better?? -for lack of a more appropriate term?

The difference is that one disc will have the theatrical AND extended version on one disc and then a feature length documentary on the making of the film, done by Costa Botes, on the other disc. This documentary is supposedly a much different style than the 'making-of' features included with the extended versions.

What I wonder is how they fit the theatrical version and the extended on one disc when they used two discs for the extended version alone in the last set.
:huh:

Scarecrow 09-01-2006 04:39 PM

I've got the extended version on 6CDs, how can they fit all of that on 2CDs. The extended version is over 9 hours long.

Aqua 09-01-2006 04:47 PM

They're still splitting it into sets... so it'd be 3 discs for all 9+ hours.

Still not sure how they manage, except by higher compression which usually means the quality suffers.

Fangtasia 09-01-2006 06:02 PM

Duel layered DVD's?? Don't care how they do it...it will be bought by me thats for sure :D

FallenAngel5 09-01-2006 07:13 PM

I've been wondering about this too, as I've been shopping for the LOTR DVD's. I scoured amazon for awhile trying to figure out the differences, and I guess I didn't realize that the new ones had the theatrical and extended versions. I was going to just get the special extended editions of each, as it's about 15 dollars cheaper that way.

Do y'all think it's worth it to have both versions of the movies?

Aqua 09-01-2006 07:18 PM

That depends on you. Some people might want both. I was only concerned with the extended, but then found out there was different special features on the regular release DVD's so I bought both sets, but only for the features.

I'm undecided on buying this set... $30 is a bit steep IMO.