Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Warning***Controversial Topic*** (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32601)

Lilith 03-02-2008 06:25 PM

Warning***Controversial Topic***

I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest but I was wondering who makes the best BBQ sauce?

What quality do you look for in a sauce? Sweet? tangy? Lots of smoke flavor? Pucker up with vinegar? Tell me who makes the best sauce and for what piece or part of which animal?

There will be no name calling, challenges, or threats allowed :D

Jude30 03-02-2008 08:13 PM

We went to the BBQ Shack in Paola Kansas last Friday. It's this little, well, shack that was featured on Food Network's Diners Drive Ins, and Dives. Damned good hot BBQ sauce. Made me sweat. Their smoked chicken wings were some of the best I have ever tasted too. No sauce on the wings just a rub, they didn't need anything else.

I like a little spice with my BBQ sauce.

Good smoked meats don't need a lot of sauce IMO.

Guy and Mae's is a wonderful BBQ joint in Williamsburg Kansas, there's another shack in Pamona that kicks ass, and even Buffalo Bob's in Lawrence has a good St. Louis style rack of rib. I've lost count to the number of BBQ joints I've eaten at in Kansas City, but since KC has the best BBQ in the country you can just assume they were all excellent.

IowaMan 03-02-2008 08:21 PM

My favorite BBQ sauce is one that is made in Wall Lake, Iowa called Cookies. It's got just the right combination of sweet and smoky that I love. I use it on pretty much everything: burgers, pulled pork, chicken, turkey, ribs and even use it in a Velveeta dip.

I guess if I was going to choose one that is common in most places in the U.S. (or at least I think it is) I'd go with KC Masterpiece Original.

There is one other that really caught my attention when I had it. It's called Montgomery Inn Barbeque Sauce. It's from a restaurant in Cincinnati and I got some in a CARE package full of ribs from a special Pixie late this summer. It's a very sweet and tangy sauce that was absolutely perfect with ribs. It's not a sauce that I'd use as an "everyday" sauce but it is definitely one of the few I've ever tried that I actually get cravings for every so often.

IowaMan 03-02-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude30
..........Buffalo Bob's in Lawrence has a good St. Louis style rack of rib.

Is The Bum Steer still there in Lawrence? They had a decent sauce for their ribs back when I lived there in the early 90's.

LixyChick 03-02-2008 09:44 PM

If you wanna cook at home there is no other sauce to use but Stubbs.

Google it! Mr. Stubbs has quite a story.

jay-t 03-02-2008 09:48 PM

The BBq sauce that I like is a little between mild and hot with a touch of garlic.The one that fits that bill is "Little Pig" a locally made sauce. Not much of a fan of the sweet or real smoky sauces. The 9 yrs I lived in Kansas City I never found a sauce that I liked and they say it has some of the best BBQ hhhmmmm!

Jude30 03-02-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMan
Is The Bum Steer still there in Lawrence? They had a decent sauce for their ribs back when I lived there in the early 90's.

They are closed. My roommate in college was a waiter at the Bum Steer. He worked there in 91 or 92.

scotzoidman 03-03-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude30

Good smoked meats don't need a lot of sauce IMO.

Roger that.

Local chain of BBQ shacks called Whitt's has the best pulled pork sandwiches, just slow-cooked pit bbq seasoned just right, & they offer sides of both a mild vinegar-y sauce & a hot sauce for those who prefer a little third degree burn in their mouth. Their party pac gives a pound of meat, a pack of buns, & a bag of Golden Flake chips to take home to family & still leaves change from a $20 in my pocket when I get there.

wyndhy 03-03-2008 02:05 PM

please. i am curious where you get the idea that BarBQ is a sauce? throughout history, man has BarBQed his meat in order to extend the shelf life of consumables. as we all know, cooking meat kills harmful bacterium that can make us sick, ergo: Bar - to not allow; B - this of course stands for bacterium; and Q - as in quick. so ... bar bacterium quick. this is what BarBQ is. it is a style of cooking, NOT a sauce. so to ask what kind of BarBQ sauce i prefer is, forgive me, pointless and confusing. obviously you need to brush up on your nutritional anthropology.

Oldfart 03-03-2008 04:06 PM

Is that blood on the floor?

No, it's Kraft BBQ sauce.

Jude30 03-03-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndhy
please. i am curious where you get the idea that BarBQ is a sauce? throughout history, man has BarBQed his meat in order to extend the shelf life of consumables. as we all know, cooking meat kills harmful bacterium that can make us sick, ergo: Bar - to not allow; B - this of course stands for bacterium; and Q - as in quick. so ... bar bacterium quick. this is what BarBQ is. it is a style of cooking, NOT a sauce. so to ask what kind of BarBQ sauce i prefer is, forgive me, pointless and confusing. obviously you need to brush up on your nutritional anthropology.

I've had this argument before. The difference between BBQ, and grilling. I say BBQ is done low and slow usually with the addition of smoke. Grilling is done over direct heat.

Cheyanne 03-03-2008 05:56 PM

The 'sauce' I prefer on BBQ'd meat is Cookies (BBQ Sauce) Amen IowaMan!

dicksbro 03-03-2008 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotzoidman
Roger that.

Local chain of BBQ shacks called Whitt's has the best pulled pork sandwiches, just slow-cooked pit bbq seasoned just right, & they offer sides of both a mild vinegar-y sauce & a hot sauce for those who prefer a little third degree burn in their mouth. Their party pac gives a pound of meat, a pack of buns, & a bag of Golden Flake chips to take home to family & still leaves change from a $20 in my pocket when I get there.

Have to remember this for July. :)

WildIrish 03-03-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest but I was wondering who makes the best BBQ sauce?

My daddy does.

And he doesn't use a recipe. It's a miracle that it comes out good every time. lol

It's good on everything but we use it mostly on ribs. :slurp: