Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I got booted (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12927)

Lilith 04-02-2003 07:33 AM

I got booted

from another site cause I was a lurker :o:p

Here for the server's database sake activity means visits to the site, posts or no posts. I had visited the site but had not posted. What do you guys think, is this a sound site policy? Boot people who do not post?

jseal 04-02-2003 08:08 AM

Lilith,

I think that people who do not post should not be booted.

If there are technical reasons to do so, then perhaps age("months", today, last_posting_date) > 6
might be a reasonable period.

Casperr 04-02-2003 09:14 AM

Lilith I think we're doing fine as a tolerant group. Not everyone is here to be part of the 'posting community' - some people just wanna look at the gorgeous people who post pics. Others are afraid/cautious when they first start up - some people lurk without posting for maybe a year or more before they have a go.....

I don't like the idea of having only 1,000 posting members and 15,000 onlookers, but I don't really thing it's a problem. Slightly intimidating, perhaps, but not a problem really.

Unless you have a need from a technical point like jseal said, and you have to cull the numbers somehow, then his suggestion of having a six month or a one year period without posting sounds good.

My $0.02 :)

CasperTG

Scarecrow 04-02-2003 11:17 AM

The only reason I can see to boot lurkers would be limited bandwith on the site and I'm not for booting anyway.

Aqua 04-02-2003 11:26 AM

Poor Lil... come on over here and I'll make you feel better. ;)

I don't like the lurk and be booted policy. No sir, I don't like it at all.

Lilith 04-02-2003 11:33 AM

Me neither but just thought it was interesting some sites do it.......*rubs her sore ass*;)

babybunny 04-02-2003 02:44 PM

I didnt know there were actually sites like that...Rather sucks..

Nice Guy 04-02-2003 02:44 PM

I agree, unless there is a tech reason behind the need to boot them then let'em stay.

buzby 04-02-2003 05:40 PM

As A kind of posting lurker, but sometime active in chat. I would not want to see people booted unless as stated for a good reason!

:heart:

sad_sam 04-02-2003 09:12 PM

Lil, If You Had Done Something To Get Booted I could See It, But Some Are Shy, Some Are Afraid, Some Are Curious, As For Me When I want To Look I Look. If I Want To Post I Post. If you can not tolerent How do you ever expect them to build up the courage to Join or Post.

Let Them Lurk, Let Them Look, Let Them Post If They Will, But Always Show Them What A Real Family Can Be!!

Love You One and All, Family,

Sam

PantyFanatic 04-02-2003 10:28 PM

Can somebody please help the Old, Slow and Unenlightened.

I’m curious as to what exactly is meant by “boot” or “booted”. It’s not a term defined in my tutorials. I have heard and used it in reference to being DISCONECTED. Do you mean that you were disconnected from their site after you had entered it or that you were denied access to the site or something else?

Lilith 04-02-2003 10:40 PM

how bout I "define booted":D:D:p as used in this case;)

I was denied access to a site after registering as a member because, although I visited, I never posted. It's that site's policy.

Sugarsprinkles 04-02-2003 10:45 PM

Personally, I don't think booting is acceptable unless someone does something serious that is extremely offensive and violates the rules of the website after being warned at least once.

PantyFanatic 04-02-2003 11:01 PM

Quote:
I was denied access to a site after registering as a member because, although I visited, I never posted. It's that site's policy.
That's OK. Their loss, our gain.:)

denny 04-02-2003 11:12 PM

So I gotta ask, what does the other site give for a reason or do they? I assume the idea is to cull members that are inactive and that that is their measurement of inactivity.