Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How does it work? (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14463)

PantyFanatic 06-15-2003 04:11 AM

How does it work?

I’m going to put this question about the workings of the site under the Site Announcements category. I know there is (or was) a “Suggestion Box” thread someplace, but have no idea where to find it. I think there also is a thread where people ask questions about functions of the site, but also have no idea where to find it.

[No I’m not. When I tried to post this as a new thread under Site Announcements, I see that only moderators can start a thread there. That is understandable, but what category should this be under and how would you find it at a later date?]

My present question is about the refreshing of the New Posts. Without charting, it seems to fluctuate tremendously in both the time cycle and number of threads that can be followed. I believe it will show over a 100 posting to different threads at one time and then as few as 15 or 20 before it refreshes to 1. It doesn’t seem to be triggered by a time factor as it can happens in less than an hour with less than 25 and other times will have 75 shown for 10 hours.

What is the triggering factor and why does it have to go to zero? I personally find it annoying to attempt to come back to something you posted to 30 minutes before and have to try to find what category that thread was in. Whatever the triggering factor is, can’t it be set to only drop the threads from the far end and leave a minimum of 25 to 50 postings and threads showing?

Kim 06-15-2003 04:27 AM

I'm not sure I follow your question PF. However I can explain how the new posts work.

When you click the new posts button it will show you a list of all the threads which have had new posts made to them.

Now when you visit the site it sets a cookie on your machine stating the time and date of your visit. The site assumes that you will be on the site no longer than 900 seconds after your last recorded activity. So when you have been away from the site for over 900 seconds the new posts will reset. If you keep on returning to the site within that 900 second slot then any new posts are added to the original new posts so the count increases.

I hope thats not too confusing. Simply new posts reset when you have been away for 900 seconds ;)

PantyFanatic 06-15-2003 05:21 AM

Thank you Kim. I think I have it but check me out. Remember this is an old dog learning new tricks. ;)

I have 15 minutes from the time the history cookie is set on my machine to keep the new posts active and adding to my list. If I have the site open, but do something else for more than 15 minutes, the site considers it a new visit when I actively do something after that time and starts a new post list for me.

So the refreshing trigger is a combination of time and activity between my machine and the site? Right?:confused: LOL

Teddy Bear 06-15-2003 06:06 AM

Well, put me on the 'completely confused' list,,,,,,,

No, I'll go back & read it again after a cup of coffee. I'm sure it'll sink in then.

:-)

LixyChick 06-15-2003 08:53 AM

Sitting on the confusion couch with ya Teddy Bear!!!!

*Hands Teddy Bear a breakfast bun and a fresh cup of coffee*

Cheyanne 06-15-2003 09:34 AM

*** Comes into the room with fresh Java and some homemade cinnamon rolls........ sits on the couch with Lixy & Teddy Bear ***

Scarecrow 06-15-2003 09:35 AM

PF that's what the lady said, so just click on something in the 900 seconds and bingo the new post will not go away.

PantyFanatic 06-15-2003 09:49 AM

Thanks- Got it. ;)

Kim 06-15-2003 01:44 PM

Yep - totally right PF.

PantyFanatic 06-15-2003 04:31 PM

OH MY GOD!

I never thought asking dumb questions could attract this kind of sexy beauty. :D

Look at who is sitting on my couch. :lust::lust::lust:

I have to find more questions to ask.:cool:

Sugarsprinkles 06-19-2003 03:24 AM

This is still a little confusing to me. This morning I came on site, it said I had around 437 unread posts. I also had 2 PM's. I went to the PMs first and replied to one. I finished the reply then went back to the main forums page to click on the New Posts link. When I clicked on it, the new posts had miraculously shrunk to only 6!! I hadn't merely gone away and left a browser window open here then come back. I was what I consider active on the site, replying to a PM.

skipthisone 06-19-2003 07:01 AM

I always thought it was the square of the hypotinaked....but hell I am usually wrong.

Lilith 06-19-2003 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugarsprinkles
This is still a little confusing to me. This morning I came on site, it said I had around 437 unread posts. I also had 2 PM's. I went to the PMs first and replied to one. I finished the reply then went back to the main forums page to click on the New Posts link. When I clicked on it, the new posts had miraculously shrunk to only 6!! I hadn't merely gone away and left a browser window open here then come back. I was what I consider active on the site, replying to a PM.

Depends on how long it took you to write it.....you can time out anywhere if you sit still too long. Just because you know you are still there doesn't mean the site does if you are not moving about.