Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   soooo...whatchya readin? (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21111)

wyndhy 06-30-2004 10:08 PM

soooo...whatchya readin?

i know lots of us pixies like to read (when they aren't smutting around that is:p ), so i thought we could share our reads here.

fiction or non, good articles, whatever, just post it.

or, if you've read a good book lately, give the rest of us worms a recommendation.

right now i'm reading imajica (clive barker). really enjoying it so far. just finished king's latest gunslinger installment, song of susanna. it only took me about a day and a half so you can see it was an easy read but it was great. can't wait for the last book to come out so i can finally (after what seems like 1,000 years of waiting) see what happens at the tower. oh, and also reading a romance, to balance out imajica, a useful affair by stella cameron (hey, a girl needs her tall dark and handsomes every now and again).

Booger 06-30-2004 10:39 PM

I'm reading Twelve Mile Limit by Randy Wayne White part of his Doc Ford series kind of a mystery slash thriller

FallenAngel5 06-30-2004 11:54 PM

AH! No spoilers about Song of Susannah please! :) I'm on the waiting list at the library. I'm so glad that he finished the series, the rumors that he wasn't going to were scaring me for awhile.

Anyway. I'm currently making my way through the repertoire of Philip Roth, who is the favorite author of my favorite professor. It's been good so far, he's slightly naughty, makes for interesting reads. I'm reading American Pastoral right now, just started it, but it's good so far. The only downside that I can see - not for me - is that he makes a lot of Jewish references that may be beyond reach for many readers. But it's not the whole story, and if you care to so much, you could always look the references up. Anyway, I recommend him. Good reading.

BigBear57 07-01-2004 04:14 AM

Just finishing "Anyone You Want Me To Be" by John Douglas. It's about the first reported internet serial killer. Dayum what a mean sumbich.

Belial 07-01-2004 05:58 AM

Just finished Necessary Illusions by Noam Chomsky, currently reading Chaos by James Gleick and Believing In Something and Nothing by Geoff Heath.

As well as a technical computing book or 6 :p

Lilith 07-01-2004 07:06 AM

I'm catching up on all my professional journals. Nothing like sitting around the the pool with a hot copy of The Reading Teacher or Teaching Exceptional Children.

skyler_m 07-01-2004 07:23 AM

I just finished Don Quixote and picked up Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

huntersgirl 07-01-2004 08:02 AM

I'm in the process of reading "Perdido Street Station" by China Miéville. I have started this book three times in the last year but for some reason or other haven't finished. Now that all the rest of my books are burried in boxes, I have vowed that I will finish this before I go digging for something else to read! The funny thing is that it is a genre I love and what I have read so far is well written and interesting, I have no idea why I haven't been able to finish it yet. Plus the jacket photo of this guy is great! He is cute. ;)

gekkogecko 07-01-2004 08:23 AM

Oh, four or five different things as is usual for any given point in my life. Usually, something in the realm of science-fiction, something having to do with military history, the latest issue of "Reptiles" magazine, some religion's holy book, and occasionally, I will read some general fiction.

flutelady 07-01-2004 10:09 AM

I love to read. I recently finished "Fried Green Tomatoes", never having seen the movie before... it was such a fun book!

Right now I'm reading nursing assistant textbooks.

Lilith 07-01-2004 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by flutelady
I love to read. I recently finished "Fried Green Tomatoes", never having seen the movie before... it was such a fun book!

Right now I'm reading nursing assistant textbooks.

I've read a couple of different Fannie Flag books....I think "Welcome to the World Baby Girl" was one I really liked.

flutelady 07-01-2004 10:35 AM

I'll check it out, Lil... I like her style for sure.

Another book I've recently read and loved was "The Secret Life Of Bees", by Sue Monk Kidd

Lilith 07-01-2004 10:37 AM

FL~ The ladies in my Bunco group loved that one too.

flutelady 07-01-2004 10:39 AM

Wise ladies... I miss Bunco.

I gave each of my daughters a copy of that book for Christmas, they loved it too.

denny 07-01-2004 12:36 PM

New set of building drawings, specifications and requests for proposal.