Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thon (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26912)

DangerousPet 11-30-2005 05:29 PM

Thon

Hey my pixie's friends. Sorry it's been a while since I've been on here. It's been a busy year!

I was just writing to tell you 2 things.
First I am really excited about the Penn State Dance Marathon, affectionatly known as THON. My good friend and I are trying to dance in it this year. It is the largest student run phlanthropy in the WORLD and helps raise money for the Four Diamonds Fund in the fight against piedatric cancer... if you want to know more go to www.thon.org but it is over all a wonderful thing :) I'm very excited!!!

and Secondly I was wondering if you guys could help me out with fund raising ideas. I have sent out letters to friends and family but I need to raise $1500 to even be concidered in the drawing for people who get to dance. and my friend and I are going 'canning' this weekend (those annoying people who stand out side of stores and say please give me your change... yeah that will be me this weekend :) ) but other than that I don't know how to raise money... any suggestions??

Thanks,
Pet

Oldfart 11-30-2005 06:21 PM

Just the right weather for a bikini car wash, or was that watch?

Seriously, how about a dance event of your own, with people paying $5.00 for a dance.

That depends on your support base, of course.

maddy 11-30-2005 07:34 PM

If you have an aluminum recycling center... take in cans.... start collecting from people around you ... it will add up!

Do you live in the dorms or an apartment?

DangerousPet 11-30-2005 08:23 PM

I live in the dorms, and PA doesn't do money for recycling cans...

TinTennessee 11-30-2005 08:31 PM

How about a bake sale? get as many people as you can to make cookies, brownies, fudge... :)

PantyFanatic 11-30-2005 09:30 PM

How much time do you have to raise this $$$, how much, if any, do you have to work with now and how many, if any, active supporters do you have to work with you?

Coaster 11-30-2005 09:37 PM

go to every store that you patronize..... your parents patronize, etc and ask for support........ good luck ... sounds like ANOTHER great cause!

maddy 11-30-2005 11:54 PM

With the holidays and exams right around the corner.... sell things in the dorms... could be as simple as candy canes... sell them for a quarter each... or 50 cents... or any sort of chocolate/junk food that all college students live on at the end of the semester.

Do a gift wrapping service.... see if you can do it at the mall for a day for "tips"

If you have an active student council in your dorm, see if you can "auction" yourself for services... the legal sorts of services ... dorm room cleaning, trash take-out, etc.

Sell your books, or get people to donate their books to you to sell at the end of the semester at the bookstore.

Ask your family/friends not to give you gifts for the holiday but to pledge their gift in cash to support your cause.

Sell "bells on a string" for people to ring in the holiday with...

Teddy Bear 12-01-2005 10:42 AM

I don't know if Wal-Mart would do this for an individual but for Girl Scouts and other groups, if you hold a bake sale or car wash or whatever, at thier store, they will match whatever you make. Would be worth asking.

sodaklostsoul 12-01-2005 11:03 AM

Very cool Pet.....Good Luck!!!!

wyndhy 12-01-2005 02:08 PM

great suggestions maddy!

and good luck, DP!

bare4you 12-01-2005 06:09 PM

Congrats on the winning!

Shoveling snow is always a good way to scare up a couple of bucks (if you get snow there that is)

Another idea would be to go to a store and see if they will let you set up a table and wrap presents. Guys like me are always willing to make a donation to have someone else wrap their presents!

Steph 01-09-2006 09:44 PM

Great ideas!

Any updates?