Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Transitions- Benny Parsons (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29844)

1nutworld 01-17-2007 09:08 AM

Transitions- Benny Parsons

Benny Parsons, the 1973 Nascar Winston Cup champion and Daytona 500 Champion died from Lung Cancer Tuesday morning, he was 65.

Parsons was born in North Carolina, where he died, but moved to Michigan and grew up racing on tracks in southern Michigan as well as Ohio, Illinois and Indiana. He also drove a Taxi, and on some of his race entry forms, he listed Taxi Driver as his occupation. Parsons was diagnosed with cancer in July of 2006, despite his stopping smoking in 1978. Upon his retirement, Parsons started doing color comentary for Nascar and other races, often appearing on broadcasts on the Fox and TNT network coverage of Nascar races.

scotzoidman 01-17-2007 10:32 AM

BP combined the knowledge of how the cars & the men who drive them work, with the good-ole-boy presentation that never made you feel that he was a know-it-all or were being talked down to, & he was, as a driver, the last of the dinosaurs, the independant driver/owner. His passing comes right on the heels of the loss of local boy Bobby Hamilton Sr., also to cancer...NASCAR has taken a 1-2 punch in the last week...

RIP to both...

IowaMan 01-17-2007 11:08 AM

This one really bugged me yesterday when I heard about it. The races were always a little bit more entertaining when BP was in the booth. I really didn't get into watching NASCAR until 1989 and he had already retired from behind the wheel. Watching him go through the buffet lines was always great back when he was on ESPN and they had his weekly little clip during the pre-race coverage. I'm gonna miss him.

Was really shocked the other day to hear about Bobby Hamilton too. I guess I his condition had sort of slipped my mind.

imaginewithme 01-17-2007 11:30 PM

Rip

dicksbro 01-18-2007 04:37 AM

For you, Benny ... :wish: ... RIP.

Scarecrow 01-18-2007 11:20 AM

Keep the pedal to the metal BP.

scotzoidman 01-19-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMan
This one really bugged me yesterday when I heard about it. The races were always a little bit more entertaining when BP was in the booth. I really didn't get into watching NASCAR until 1989 and he had already retired from behind the wheel. Watching him go through the buffet lines was always great back when he was on ESPN and they had his weekly little clip during the pre-race coverage. I'm gonna miss him.

Seems to me that BP was the source of several of the incidents that ended up in the movie "Days of Thunder", my particular favorite being when his crew chief told him to go hit the pace car, because "You've done everything else wrong out there, I want ya to be perfect!" :roflmao: