Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Early Voting (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33598)

Lilith 11-01-2008 11:00 AM

Early Voting

In my state today is the last day for early voting. We left this morning for one of the few polls that they opened and wated over an hour and a half to vote. I felt very proud standing in line for that long with all the other people who were there to have their say too. I heard lots of people stating their opinions and communicating with strangers about their ideas. No one was rude or bickering. People helped one another by holding places etc so peeps could pee. It was a really positive experience.

Have any of you Americans already voted?

IowaMan 11-01-2008 11:55 AM

Yep, sure did. I believe it was Wednesday I went and cast my ballot.

PantyFanatic 11-01-2008 12:01 PM

Glad to hear you voted early. :) To avoid the lines I'm planning to vote late, maybe Thursday before the weekend rush starts again.
:D

jseal 11-01-2008 01:44 PM

I am a middle-of-the-road type. Tuesday will be the day for me.

Scarecrow 11-01-2008 04:07 PM

I will cast my vote on Nov 4. Our early voting ended yesterday and they said that the lines where 2+ hours long. I should get in and out in about 20 minutes.

osuche 11-01-2008 06:53 PM

I voted by mail - did it about 3 weeks ago

Pita 11-01-2008 07:26 PM

We went down on Thursday to try to vote but the wait was over 3 hours long and frankly that wasn't how I wanted to spend one of my days off. We plan to get up early on Tuesday and be at the polls before the masses show up.

Sure wish I had thought to find out about how to vote by mail. That would be great! :nod:

Scarecrow 11-01-2008 09:30 PM

In the state of Illinois if you go to work 2 hour after the polls open and work untill 2 before the polls close your employeer must give you 2 hours off with pay to go vote. The polls are open from 7am to 7pm so if you work from 9am to 5pm you get paid to go vote. This is only on the day of the election(Nov. 4)

Jude30 11-01-2008 10:39 PM

I have my ballot filled out I am going to drop it in the mail tomorrow.

scotzoidman 11-02-2008 12:18 AM

I was all set to vote early, then the wife wimped out, the 1 1/2 hr waiting lines discouraged her. I'm hoping the long lines for early voting will mean few left to do the deed on election day.

gekkogecko 11-02-2008 09:53 AM

No early voting in Maryland; there's a question on this year's ballot to amend the state constitution to allow it.

*However*: voting by absentee ballot is allowed, there's no a whole lot of close questioning about why yone might request an absentee ballot, and those of us working the election are highly encouraged to use the absentee ballot (unlike provisional ballots, all absentee ballots are counted). The deadline for requesting an absentee ballot has already passed, though.

Yes, therefore, I have voted already. And yes, I voted for the early voting amendment: that's going to do something at least to take the heavy election-day corwds down, and anything that does that while still allowing people to vote gets my vote.

fzzy 11-03-2008 04:17 AM

I always vote by mail in vote ... in California (as of a couple of years ago) you can request to be permanently on the mail-in list and so I automatically get a ballot a few weeks before every election ... I love that! ... so yes I've voted already! Now I just wish they would stop running all those pesky election ads! :)

Aqua 11-03-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
In my state today is the last day for early voting. We left this morning for one of the few polls that they opened and wated over an hour and a half to vote. I felt very proud standing in line for that long with all the other people who were there to have their say too. I heard lots of people stating their opinions and communicating with strangers about their ideas. No one was rude or bickering. People helped one another by holding places etc so peeps could pee. It was a really positive experience.

Have any of you Americans already voted?

Glad to hear the experience was so positive, Lil. Given how nasty this election has been at times it's really refreshing to hear.

I'll be voting tomorrow.

gekkogecko 11-03-2008 01:17 PM

Vote early, vote often.

Oldfart 11-03-2008 04:08 PM

Let's hear it for a hung Parliament! Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!