Pixies Place Forums

Pixies Place Forums (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The times they are a-changing. (http://www.pixies-place.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35755)

Oldfart 02-09-2012 09:13 PM

The times they are a-changing.

I was originally going to post this in the "Tell me something" thread, but decided it probably needed it's own playpen.

In a 752,478 degree spinout, a question for our broad and diverse Pixies.

Is America ready for a non-Christian President?

You've had your (one) Catholic and now a Negro. Is America ready for a Mormon or, perish the thought, a Muslim, Jewish or Buddhist? I won't further muddy the waters by bringing up Atheism.

You're included in this one too, Irish. LOL

Lilith 02-09-2012 10:42 PM

*boom*

dicksbro 02-10-2012 03:37 AM

Good question. I guess I don't really know right now, but, I hope for me, I'd wait to see what the person stood for and be convinced that their agenda did not include legislation that would compromise my beliefs. Generally, I suspect they'd have a difficult time.

jseal 02-10-2012 06:26 AM

I doubt that a Muslim, a Jew, or an avowed Atheist will successfully campaign for the Presidency for quite a few years yet.

The Buddha currently has a good public image, but is also likely to be too different for many for the immediate future.

Still the secularization of the Latin West proceeds unabated, so perhaps this interval will be only 16-20 years.

Oldfart 02-10-2012 07:51 AM

Yes jseal, but a Mormon?

Irish 02-10-2012 11:11 AM

The times they are a-changing

:irish: :irish: I don't know about different religions,but im my opinion anything would be better
then O'Bama! MY OPINION! Irish :irish:

AZRedHot 02-10-2012 12:59 PM

No, America isn't. I certainly am. And I would argue that many of these nominally Christian folks don't really behave in a so-called Christian manner, anyway, so the issue has long been moot. In any case, it'd be grand if more Americans began to understand that religion is a private issue between people and their understanding of their divine, and leave it alone. Jesus said to pray in a closet and not make a spectacle of yourself and your religion. Maybe the type of Christians who care whether their president is a Christian, or more likely, the "right" kind of Christian, could start with that premise for once, in a gesture of good faith, in all senses of the word.

Oldfart 02-10-2012 01:53 PM

Hi, Irish. I suspected that may be your direction.

I wonder how the power structure in Washington would cope with a bias toward

two non-Cs, Israel and Utah.

gekkogecko 02-10-2012 04:52 PM

But how is your question even a realistic possibility ? I mean, there's no major-party candidate for nominee for the office of POTUS who isn't christain.

Oldfart 02-10-2012 06:55 PM

Mitt Romney is a Mormon, as is one of the other republicans.

Scarecrow 02-10-2012 08:23 PM

Hate to bust your bubble but Mormons are Christians, just like Catholics are.

jseal 02-10-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkogecko
... I mean, there's no major-party candidate for nominee for the office of POTUS who isn't christain.

While they are few and far between, they do exist. Senator Lieberman ran for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2003. Although I found his campaign positions attractive, he was stomped on — but his was a "real" campaign.

Oldfart 02-10-2012 10:40 PM

I was under the assumption that adherence to the Book of Mormon and the Revelations to Joseph Smith took them a tad outside mainstream Christanity.

jseal 02-10-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart
Yes jseal, but a Mormon?

Depending upon one’s theological flexibility, I'm sure the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints can find shelter somewhere under the expansive umbrella of Christianity.

Not, I hasten to add, that I would want to defend that claim, but I've heard of ... how shall I phrase this ... groups that purport to be a Christian Church, but whose practices are rather more outré than those of the Mormons.

And anyway, they're still closet proponents of polygamy, so that's a plus in my book!

... looks over shoulder to ensure Dearsweet isn't watching ...

scotzoidman 02-10-2012 11:07 PM

[in Sgt Schultz voice] I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know nothing...