View Single Post
Old 10-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Pixies Horse Widower

Send a message via ICQ to dm383
Quote:
I was so young when I started, I'm embarrassed to say when I first took a serious puff. Suffice it to say it's been many, many moons.

I wonder if I'm an exception to the "rule" of starting young? I grew up (with my younger sister) in a house where my mum didn't work and smoked all day. (Still does, and she's 71 now). My sis and I always used to be on their backs about it, telling them it was bad for them, and for us, and the smell was horrible etc. etc. etc. Unlike most of my peers, I never even wanted to try smoking when I was at school, that's how much I hated it.

Then... I went to college. STILL didn't smoke, as such, only *ahem* 'herbal' ones. At nineteen, joined the army. THAT was it! Hooked. After I got my Medical Discharge (f*cked knee, no good for a paratrooper!!) I gave them up for the one and only time, nearly 2½ years. Started again when I worked in a golf club bar - SO quiet and boring at lunchtimes, I had to have something to do!!! STOOPID, or what?!?!?!

So, now I smoke a LOT (30+ a day ) and we have a smoking ban in ALL public places starting in March next year. Not just shops and such, but pubs and bars too, just like in Ireland a couple years ago. I work for the NHS here, and they part-fund my car - apparently, they will be banning smoking in all Health Board properties next year (understandable) INCLUDING lease cars when used for business, (okaaay, they pay part of it, so I can live with that - not!) BUT..... for those of my colleagues who use their own cars - bought, insured etc. by THEM, they're saying those people can't smoke in their cars either!! WTF?!?! Talk about erosion of civil liberties!

/me kicks soapbox outta the way.

Anyway, back to the topic (kinda). Do I want to quit? Yes! Can I? Nope. I read Lixy's reply in that other thread, about trying to quit. I've tried God knows how many times, never managed more'n a few days. My dad quit 5 years ago, just like that - mind you, he did have a Stroke and spent six weeks in hospital. Dr's told him any more cigs would kill him next time, and he's never lit another one. It'll probably take something like that to get ME to quit!!

DM

I just read all that back, and it seems to ramble a bit..... but WTF, huh?

DM
I only own my mind