Thread: DaVinci
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 09:30 AM
pixie of the wood

Send a message via Yahoo to wyndhy
i read it but didn't see the movie yet. not sure if i will...maybe when it comes out on video.

my two cents on the novel:
the exerpt from the book, or the disclaimer...whatever you call it...totally suckered me:

"The Priory of Sion—a European secret society founded in 1099—is a real organization. In 1975, Paris's Bibliothèque Nationale discovered parchments known as Les Dossiers Secrets, identifying numerous members of the Priory of Sion, including Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Leonardo da Vinci."

^^^first of all, i didn't bother researching before reading to find out for myself, but i later found out it was not founded in 1099, it was founded (if it was founded at all...that';s still up for debate) sometime in the 1950's.

"All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate."

^^^secondly...upon reflection aftre reading the book (and spouting my mouth off about it ) i wondered how can a secret ritual be described acurately if it's a secret?

there are some other little things here and there that brown claimed were real history but are, conversely, hotly debated by historians and even some facts/documents that were found to have been forged before brown penned the novel.

so...although brown didn't explicitly say that book was anything but fiction, it was certainly implied that the plot could be a set of events that may happen because of real history (as opposed to psuedohistory)...not his fault, but mine for not bothering to find out for myself.

still a great read though.

The forest would be very quiet if no other birds sang than those who sing the best * Henry van Dyke

some fairly sordid tales, rambles, and anecdotes
Hypothetically Speaking * Something More * Cammy Interrupted * An Experimental Vacation * Masked * so..damn..hot * Thank You * My toy, his idea * no.19 Maple Lane * I Have A Surprise For You * Yesterday * In a Quiet Kitchen * help me decide * untitled prose * more untitled prose