View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 05:03 AM
Everybody Stretch!

WOW! I am so impressed and overwhelmed with the caring and detailed thoughts spelled out here! Thank you EVERYONE...for taking the time!

- Are you sure this isn't a case of "the grass being greener" on the other side?

I've never liked to sew...I just can do it. Don't know why I can...but I can. The grass has always been greener elsewhere to me. Just don't know what fence I want to leap over!

- Can you lower the risk of making a big career switch by checking it out before you change? Do it as a hobby, go to art fairs, volunteer with a stained glass artist, etc.

Excellent ideas!

- Is this a reaction to feeling your mortality because of some of the medical issues you've had with your sister and Mr Lixy? If yes, will you feel different in 6 months?

Hadn't thought of it that way...but it could be. I know I've always wanted something other than my current job. It just might be more pressing now after dealing with sis and hubby lately.

- Do you have some time to do informational interviews with people who are in jobs that interest you? Call them, interview them to figure out the good, bad, and ugly of that profession.

Again...excellent idea!

- Do you need to do this new thing full-time, or can you do it as a hobby?

I'd like to eventually get out of sewing forever...but I can take baby steps.

- Is a career change the source of your quandry, or is there a bigger question/issue you need to solve?

It's not the career I am fearful of changing. I'd gladly drop sewing from my life like a hot potato if I had another opportunity. I'm responsible for the only source of health coverage for me and Mr. Lixy. I'd need to make a comparable amount of money at anything I do in order to afford the cost of our health coverage. He has no way of taking this burden, even temporarily. I don't see a way out.

I've read and noted everything that's been said here. You guys always make me smile (and cry)! I'm gonna get those books and check out those sites and I'll get back here with more thoughts!

(((((Everyone)))))

~Thomas Dewar~