View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 10:07 PM
1 of 8,111,103,258

Cool Press 1 for English

I am wondering what other Pixies opinion is on the multilingual issue for the USA. I personally, am not confronted to any great extent with the topic until I pickup the phone and reach an automated callee.

My logistics have only brought me into contact with actual bilingual requirements/laws where I have no say. While I have a personal opinion, the legal language issue is a small part of that situation and the business of another country.

In my location, we have always had (and still do) strong pockets and neighborhoods of various cultures speaking many different languages, but have never been required to speak/read it personally nor has my local society as a whole. I VERY much envy and respect people that speak more than one language but I'm not sure how to feel about the 'demand' that one society or country adopt the language of another's.

Europeans have long had the exposure to many countries and languages on one continent with each maintaining their own language. This has also brought the inspiration to become versed in other languages but without forgoing their own.

I think it is very good for everyone to 'accommodate' new people within our society, but should we modify our society to theirs? Are we being slow to accept globalization? If so, what parts of the global smorgasbord do we adapt to our mixing pot? Do we base it on current migration trends? Is geographical distance the dictator of how we evolve? Should retro history be the deciding factor of what language is spoken in the USA or should it be regionalized?

What are your thoughts about this You Tube clip?

*throws down the stick and runs from the pot*

"If God didn't want you to play with it, He would have put it between your shoulder blades,..... not at the end of your arm"

Except for speculation, we ONLY have NOW and EACHOTHER!

real world of cyber people ~ Pixies ~ real people of the cyber world