View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

Frist of all, terms...

"Monogamy" means single-marriage. Not necessarily single sexual partner.
"Mono-" or Poly-gyny" means one or multiple women
"Mono-" or "poly-andry" means one or multiple men
"polyamory" means manylove, and is not the same as marriage

Why bash monogamy?

Because this state has been forced down the throats of people for centuries at this point, as the *only* proper, upright, moral, etc. state of humanity.

Of course, when all is said and done, one usually finds that the idea of monogamy/monogyny in practice is applied only to a target group that the social elite wishes to control...be that women, as has been done throught most of the social history (either socially acceptable polygyny in teh sense of a prince or caliph keeping a harim, or political marriage with much dallying supposedly out of the public view, as exemplified most prominently by, say the English King Henry VIII), or a minority religious group, as when the more mainstream christain groups basically forced the mormons to adopt monogamy as their accepttable 'norm': many of the mormons went underground to escape what they saw as a form of 'oppression'.

The idea of monogamy, monogyny, monoandry, is *not* the "natural" state of humanity. There is no "natural" state that can be picked otu from human evolutionary & cultrual history. Some people, AS INDIVIDUALS, perfer monogamy, some prefer polygamy, some perfer serial monogamy or monoamory, that is, a single partner for some period of their lives, then moving on to a different partner for whatever reason.

And yet, monogamy is not only held to be the absolute social and moral norm, it is usually enshrined in law as a control mechanism on society.

In that sense, and only in that sense, it is offensive shit, and I cordially invite those who insist on foisting said offensive shit down the throats of others to shove their shit back up their asses where ti belongs.

Whereas, if any given individual chooses to be monogamous or monamorous with any other given individual, hey, cool by me.