View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Huggable!

Thumbs up May seem like a downer but its not....

Hello Pixie family/friends,

My health continues to be an issue. I have several different major things going on but this thread is about one of them....Parkinson's. While that is usually thought of as an old people disease there is also 'young on-set Parkinson's'. Which Michael J. Fox and I have in common. I was diagnosed at age 45. It is a progressive disease which they say doesn't shorten your life, just makes whats left of it miserable. And they are right!!

I have all of it, the stutter step, the freezing gait, the Parkinson's stoop, the tremors, the speech troubles, etc and the loss of balance/falling!! I am peeked out on the meds that are currently used. I have more what is called 'off times' then good. Sooo... I am having deep brain surgery. Well I have signed up for it anyway. Have to go through some testing first. Completed most of it. A 3 hour psychological test is next. If I'm found to have any mental illness they won't do the procedure. I've signed the release forms already though.

The surgery itself is scarey but I can't wait! This is something I want so much! It won't be a cure but will put me back to where I am when I'm at my best now. Which is good enough for me. It with give me a few years of a better quality of life then I have now. It is progressive and will continue after the surgery. But we're not gonna think bout that.

As for the procedure itself... my husband and I have met the neurosurgeon he explained it all thoroughly and we have a lot of confidence in him. I have agreed to be part of a case study which will help them learn more about the brain. I will be playing a sort of video game during the procedure. I told the doc. I generally suck at video games. He said thats ok, I don't need to win, just playing it will give them insight into the brains working. I figured it would be good to help the docs gain knowledge but also by playing this game I will be distracted from whats really happening.... People poking around inside my skull. LOL

No date is set for this to happen yet, have to finish the testing first. But I'm hoping for Jan. or Feb. of 2009. I'm scared to death but I've never wanted anything more. Just wanted my Pixie family to know whats going on with teddy.

*hugs* to all of you
teddy