Thread: Aftermath
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 01:51 PM
obsolete

Jack Fleming

"I'm home! Where is everyone?" Hanging his jacket in the hall closet, Jack walked into the living room.

"I'm here, dad. The little ones are in bed and mom... " Mark seemed a little reluctant to mention his mother, a fact not lost on Jack.

He walked over to his son and hugged him. "Thanks, Champ. I owe you one for today. How bout a ball game on the weekend? Just us guys."

"Okay, dad. Whatever."

"Whatever?" Jack gave an inward sigh. There was a time not so long ago that Mark would have been enthusiastic about getting away from the "girls". He couldn't help wondering if those days were lost forever.

"Sorry, dad. Was just concentrating on this movie," Mark offered as a quick excuse that didn't fool either of them.

"Okay then. I need to get a shower and check on our girl." The words our girl caught in Jack Fleming's craw. They had taken on a different meaning in the truest sense of the word and he would have given anything to take them back when he saw the look on Mark's face. Embarrassed, Jack cleared his throat and went upstairs to check on Janice.

The bedroom was dark as he entered, just a glimmer of light from the streetlamp outside creeping through a chink in the curtains. "Honey?" he whispered just in case. "Are you awake?"

"Uh huh."

Jack moved to his wife's side of the bed and sat down, rubbing her arm. "You okay?"

Janice hesitated, loath to bring up the unasked question that hung unspoken between them. "Ohh... Jack... " She melted into her husband's arms as he scooped her up, her body wracked by sobs. "They... I... we... "

"There there, love. It will be okay. It's not like we didn't expect this -- even if it isn't what we would have liked. I love you, Janice. With all of my heart. Nothing and no one will ever change that." Jack tried to sound braver than he was, knowing that she needed soothing and reassurance. They didn't have any other choice.