View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Pixies Horse Widower

Send a message via ICQ to dm383
Unhappy

Jings, what have I started!!

jseal, I don't know much about American politics, or politics in general come to that, but I DO know people!!
I watch our home-grown politicos on TV (when I can stomach it!) and the vast majority of them are lying through their teeth every time they open their mouths! As a psychiatric nurse working in the community, it's part of my job to know how to "read" peoples body-language, and a lot of politicians don't seem to appreciate us ordinary folks aren't as dumb as they'd like to think!

Also speaking as a nurse, I pay particular attention to the Scottish Execeutive's pronouncements on the Health Service. This government has made numerous pledges & promises about surgery and clinic waiting times, recruitment & retention of nurses and doctors, as well as regarding pay & conditions for ALL health service staff: after 5 years, NONE of these have come to pass, indeed waiting times for operations (for example) have actually increased by an average of 21% country-wide. (I'm speaking only of Scotland here!)

Lastly ( for now at least) two personal examples; when I lived in the Isle of Man, I was quite friendly with the Night Nursing Manager at the hospital I worked in, and went out socially with him & his wife. THEN he was elected a M.H.K. (kind of a manx MP) and from being an ardent naturalist (amongst other things) has just voted for a plan to develop over 100 acres of prime grazing land for housing. (Doesn't sound a lot, I know, but bear in mind the Island is only 11 miles by 33) Second is CA's great-uncle, who is a junior pol in our Ministry of Defence..... it seems he was instrumental in denying Gurkha widows a basic Army pension, whilst publicly endorsing it! (I saw him on TV, but didn't know who he was at the time!!)

Sorry to go on, but you DID ask!!

DM
I only own my mind