View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 09:00 PM
Soft & Silky CD

Send a message via Yahoo to Tess
Just watched "Real Time with Bill Maher" on HBO, and one of the guests was Ian McKellan. (Sharni, you would have been proud of him )

The subject of gay marriage came up, and Ian McKellan recited this inscription from the walls of Jefferson Memorial in Washington, DC

"I am certainly not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

(in a letter to George Washington from Thomas Jefferson)

Again, the extraordinary wisdom of the Founding Fathers is shown. I think this helps put this whole discussion into focus.

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)

"I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them."
- Ian L. Fleming (1908-1964)