View Single Post
Old 04-13-2004, 02:25 PM
~*Geeky Girl*~

Ah, home!

I've only been to Derby, once. I was actually in the stands and have never been to the infield; however, I *have* heard the stories. I'm not sure on betting out there, either...I'm not sure too much betting goes on out there. People are too busy doing other things like trying to sneak alcohol in, etc.

If you're there in time and are interested, the Pegasus Parade is always held on Thursday afternoons. I want to say it starts around 5ish. It's actually the only pre-Derby thing I've been to.

Two Saturdays before Derby is the official kick-off to the Derby festival. They have this huge, and I do mean HUGE, fireworks display on the river. The week before Derby is when things really kick in, though. The Saturday before Derby is the Great Balloon Race, and the Wednesday before Derby is the Great Steamboat Race. In between, they have other things like a bed race through the downtown streets, and a race where waiters and waitresses carry wine and see who can spill the least and win.

All in all, it's a blast--I'm sure you'll have a great time!

P.S. To hell with the Mint Juliep--have a piece of Derby Pie for me!

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forget about the ones who don't, and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, then let it, and if you have to wait for what you really want, take the time because nobody said that life would be easy. They just promised it would be worth it." ~ Unknown author