View Single Post
Old 08-21-2001, 02:51 PM
Bard at large

Cockalot.
To love some one is to have a very strong emotional attachment to them. You "Love" them. You are their friend and family. You do things with them because you like to. You enjoy their happiness.

To be "In Love" with someone is another level of emotional commitment. They are a major part of your life. They are the one you want to be with. They are the one you can trust with your life and they are the one you will do anything you can for. They are the one who "Gets your engine running".

The statement
"I Love you but I'm not in love with you" is used when the person you are with loves you as a friend but does not love you as their significant other. This is the normally said when one person in a serious relationship realizes that the person they are with is a very good friend but not the person they should be with.

As to a man saying "I love you un-fornutely", that normally means they have a love bond to you but realize there are differences they cannot deal with. This is the reverse of "I love you but I'm not in love with you". It is more of "I'm in love with you but I don't love you". It normally means they wouldn't want you as their friend but do wish you as a lover. this is encountered when two people have grown far enough appart in their personal growth that they would not be friends except that they have been and are in love.

Does that help?