View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 11:56 PM

1.) How soon is it? Too soon is nearly always bad. I'm sure someone will come along behind me and say how they met and married 2 days later and have been together 100 years since, and their love has kept them alive into their 140's and whatever. Goodie for them. 99% of people who latch onto someone the minute they see them are extremely dysfunctional. Don't bet on being the 1% who will find the person who you marry 2 days after meeting them and live happily ever after.

2.) Does she show it? Showing it more important than saying it. Does she show it HER WAY? Part of your issue may be your expectations. You expect her to show it YOUR way. Does she bring you a bowl of cereal every single day, even though you hate cereal but haven't told her yet? Your fault for not telling her, by the way, but keep in mind, she's showing her love by bringing it to you. The rest is your problem.

3.) Did she say it easily? Easy come, easy go. It was easy to say with the last 5 guys she desperately loved and couldn't live without, either. Maybe not, but don't dismiss the practical reality of the likelihood.

4.) When she says it, does she look you in the face? If she can't look you in the face when she expresses any strong emotions, but can when she says that, she's lying. If she can look you in the face to express other strong emotions, but not when she says that, she's lying.

5.) Like Lilith said, are you just being paranoid and setting yourself up here?

6.) Last but not least. Love is a choice, and active, moment by moment decision. Part of that choice is to choose to trust that person. To take their statements at face value, without qualifying or second guessing. This honesty is INTEGRAL to a true, genuine loving relationship. "Does she mean it?" If she said it, assume she meant it. If she lied, SHE OWNS THAT, you don't. She didn't want you to think "do I look okay in this dress?" to mean "do I look okay TO YOU in this dress?" then she should have said, "Am I fat, is everyone going to stare at me, OMG, should I change into something less sexy? HELP, WHAT SHOULD I WEAR???" If you don't respond "correctly" that's because you couldn't read her mind, and she'd better wake the hell up and realize that if she ever wants to have a real relationship. You better wake up and treat her like what she says is what she means, or you'll spend a lifetime thinking "what the fuck??" all the time. No offense intended. Don't read into things. make her be honest.

7.) Be honest with her. To do this, you must be honest with you. That's not easy.

8.) Why are you asking this? For which answer are you hoping, honestly, under all the bullshit? Do you hope she is, or hope she isn't? Why?