View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 07:15 AM
I make sexytime with you

Not a problem at all Lou

No-one has really told me to grow up or that I'm sick. It's more a general impression I get. I should give a concrete example. Let's call the girl involved 'C'.

C has a new boyfriend. She remarks that he is metrosexual. I think immediately of the etymology of the word that Wicked Wanda posted a while ago and start laughing. C asks why I'm laughing. Another friend, B, explains that we have something of a running joke involving that word, that the word "metrosexual" means "motherfucker". C interprets this as me calling her boyfriend a motherfucker and yells her protest at me. She is absolutely not interested in hearing the basis for the joke. This is normal for C. She's too busy being offended by what I have to say to wonder why I might say it and actually engage in some sort of dialogue.

I am certainly not trying to offend C at all. The problem is that I'm finding it basically impossible to express myself (and this extends to more than jokes) without offending her or upsetting her or "making [her] feel stupid" or make her feel as if she's "talking to a 25 year old".

If I didn't like her at all this would pose no problem, because I wouldn't care. But that's not the case.
I want to do something that matters