Thread: workaolics
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 10:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to BlueSwede Send a message via Yahoo to BlueSwede
Just a side note. He may not be a workaholic; it very likely just comes with the territory. In other words, that particular job is very demanding; he either does all that is required or he finds himself another job.

I have never had a nursing job (in a hospital or now as a hospice nurse) that wasn't extremely stressful and very demanding (which is why so many nurses get burned out in a few years). I usually consider it a good day or night, when I worked nights, if I had a chance to go to the bathroom even once during a 12.5-hr shift, which usually turned into 13.5 hrs. Unless one works per diem or prn or part time, you don't have a choice; you either do what the job demands or you find yourself another job. I don't know about your friend, but except for editing, this is the only skill I have, so I don't feel I have a choice except to stick it out. And it doesn't matter what hospital you work at, they squeeze every drop out of you that they can. Working in this field in a hospital, in particular, is not like most jobs. This may be what your friend is running into.