View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 05:20 AM
Everybody Stretch!

I dive OzKristin. Mr. Lixy was certified back in 1984 and kept saying I would love it if I would just give it a try. I was reluctant because I am a bit claustraphobic and I thought the feel of all that water surrounding me would kick it in down there and I would panic. Nothing could be further from the truth! That we are unable to travel in space, scuba is the closest thing to zero gravity I'll ever experience. And, if the visibility is good there can be no way that one would feel claustraphobic...but exactly the opposite! We dive in N.J. from time to time, but haven't this year. The visibility is between 15-40 feet and that's probably the best to expect this far north. But, go down south...specially to the Keys in Fl. and the visibility is 100 feet or more. It's truly amazing!

Getting certified was pretty cool. I took classes in an olympic size swimming pool for the first part and then we took the rest of the course in a quarry specifically set up for diving. My dive master was so patient and understanding of my initial fears and it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Hubby and I are certified P.A.D.I. open water. We'd like to take advanced courses but time is difficult to find these days. For now, we are able to do most of what more advanced divers do but we are conservative and stick to all the rules. My deepest dive to date is 95 feet, but I prefer more shallow dives (which is the case in the Keys) so that I can stay down longer. Time flies when you are down there exploring. The weightlessness is about the best thing I can think of on the planet...besides sex, of course...lol!

Hope you have as much fun with it as we do. Make sure you get the full course and not just the 3 hour course they give you on the islands. It'll make for more peace of mind! PM me anytime!

~Thomas Dewar~