Thread: American Idol
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 07:06 AM
Everybody Stretch!

Lilith...I knew a girl when I was young, who reminds me so much of Mary Roach. She went to our "rival" school and I knew her from church. I'd pass her house on my way to church (I walked 2 miles to get there) and I'd stop at her fenced yard and ask her mom (turns out it was her grandma...her "sister" was her real mom) if Linda was coming along. Usually she did...and all the rest of the way to church Linda would "entertain" me. I didn't encourage her, or even ask her to sing and dance. She just wanted me to like her and this is how she got attention from people she wanted to "hang out" with.

My mother always taught me right from wrong and I think I was one of the few who didn't exploit Linda's "talent" I was once told that she went to her school one day...sans underwear...in a dress, and got up on a desk and sang "I Left My Heart In San Fran Cisco". People where making fun of her and saying stuff like, "That ain't all you left in San Fran Cisco Linda"! When I heard this I was appalled! I went to her mother and told her what had been happening...that the "friends" that Linda thinks she has are really no friends at all. Her mother thanked me and from that day on Linda was a staple at my house. She'd come over everyday and we'd visit for a while till I finally had to tell her she had to go home now...otherwise she'd stay all day and night! One summer morning, I woke to find Linda in the baby pool my mom had set up for my younger sisters. She was "swimming" and splashing like a 4 y/o. I called her mom and she didn't even know Linda was gone. They eventually moved so the could get Linda into an appropriate school for her condition. She needed to learn protocol and ettiquette and manners (needed to learn how to live...actually) and her mother didn't think a regular school could give her that. I never saw her again...but I've never forgotten her.

It's a shame what some people use as an excuse for entertainment! I'm with you Lil...in saying tsk tsk to the producers of Idol...for some of the people they exploit!

~Thomas Dewar~