View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 11:17 AM

As a recent proposee....I can say that what you say and where you say it are both much less important than that you're asking at _all_. There isn't really a wrong way to do it, so long as it comes from the heart. My fiance took advantage of a trip we were planning to Rome, he chose a quiet day when we were having a picnic on the palatine hill. He snuck the ring, wrapped up with a bow, into the basket. And when I pulled it out, puzzled over it, he took it out of my hand, went down on one knee, and very simply asked me to marry him. I loved the privacy and the simplicity of it. I appreciated that he chose a low stress day near the end of the holiday when I was relaxed and could enjoy the feelings without being overwhelmed. I'm also pleased he carefully picked a spot that we would remember with fondness and look forward to coming back to.

Other friends have had different experiences, which you're welcome to poach. One's bf strung the ring and a note popping the question on a ribbon around the neck of a kitten he'd gotten her for her birthday....and gave it to her with breakfast in bed. The cat, btw, was named Diamond Girl in honor of the occasion.

Another just had the ring slipped onto her finger in the middle of a LOUD 4th of July fireworks display....he knew the answer before things quieted down enough for him to use the words.

Another was proposed to on a carriage ride through central park....he'd set it all up ahead of time, there was champaign and roses waiting under the blanket in the corner. It's more than I would have wanted, but it suited her down to the ground.

There's a million right answers, really. However he decides to do it will turn out to be the right one .

G