Thread: Open Marriages
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Gone with the Wind

Pissed off Kitty

**Wanda Kitty unsheaths her very sharp claws**
Vigil, you are so wrong in so many ways!
Starting with the "Patriarchal oppression" you deny exists in the West.
By the way, go back and re-read what sixsense wrote. The words "patriarchal oppression" DO NOT APPEAR!!!! ***ANYWHERE***in the post!
Sixsense did mention "patriarchal ideal" which is not the same thing, sweetie pie.
I am bothered by your translation of "ideal" into "oppression". A nastier woman than myself might suggest that your slip is showing. (Freud was a silly man anyway. I mean, all women have "penis envy"??... HAH! But never mind)
I wonder if you asked your SO (wife or girlfriend) if she thinks this is a patriarchal society?
You should. I do not know your SO, but she likely might tell you that the West, as big an improvement as it is over the rest of the world, is not an equal opportunity place for women, even in the 21st century.
The "patriarchal ideal" sixsense mentioned traditionally refers to the confidence a man has in believing HE is the sire of any offspring, and the other "rights" a man has over a woman in the marriage. The "fatherhood" issue is a big one. In the animal kingdom dominant males will kill and eat the male offspring of other males.
This is important to human males too. Look at the laws on heirs and property, for example, and the "right" a man seems to have in many places in the USA to KILL his wife if he finds her with another man!
Men are still being given the "benefit of the doubt" on this in too many places. Women are not granted this doubt in similar circumstances...
I think that murder over sexual fidelity is stupid, cruel and pointless, but I feel like a voice in the wilderness. And we will not speak of the practices OUTSIDE the West, which are totally barbaric, including female circumcision, and "honor" murders!!
The patriarchal issues extend into joint ownership of property, management of money, and even joint credit ratings. ("Have your husband come down to co-sign if you want to borrow money, Mrs. Smith)"
Women keeping their own surnames is stil a bit of a scandal in some circles, and I prefer Ms. to Mrs., as I am not ANYBODY'S property, even when I was married. (yes I was, and I am coming to that too, later on)
Yes, things have improved a lot recently, but there are still problems. Louisiana, my home state, bases its' laws on the Napoleanic Code for God's sake!
NEXT:
Laws AGAINST the right to birth control for women.
I am not talking about abortion. Just birth control. You know, condoms, diaphrams, the Pill. Margaret Sanger, (my personal idol, after my Parents) went to prison for teaching women how NOT to get pregnant in 1917 at a time when the death rate for women in childbirth was horrendous.
Canda didn't legalize contraception 1969. The USA made legal the sale of birth control devices to single people IN FUCKING 1972!!!!!!
Next:
I am a young woman. When my Grandmama was born, (1940) in France, she could not vote, run for office, or join a political party. France did not "grant" the right to vote to women until 1944. The USA did it earlier, in 1920.
The USA still has not found its' way to elect a woman President, or even a Vice President.
The first woman elected to a Govenorship on her own merit, and not as a substitute for her spouse was Ella Grasso, in 1974.
Women Senators are fairly new too, by the way. Since 1920, when we got the vote, 33 have served, and 23 of those have been elected since 1972.

So much for the "patriarchal ideal" as a "myth." Maybe "oppression" is closer to reality!

Out of room. Next post I get really catty.

MS. Wicked Wanda

---Margaret Cho