Thread: Open Marriages
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 08:17 AM

I would not be able to do it.

That IS my husband. I AM his wife. That's our agreement. Absolutely we "belong" to each other. Not just me to him, not just him to me. Us, to each other. That is MY love. My lover. My friend. As I am his love, lover, friend.

When I have sex with him, it is a profound expression of my feelings for him. Special feelings. A special commitment. A special choice to do whatever work it takes to remain in that special relationship with just him. A statement that I recieve that physical pleasure from him, and him alone. I see sex as a symbolic statement within a partnership. It goes beyond physical grunting.

I am also of the opinion that if our relationship is not special, and we each feel the need to express that level of commitment to other people, then we should not be married. Expressing commitment to many people sort of destroys the ideas of integrity, faithfulness, commitment, and the many other feelings and actions I associate with a powerful, central, integral relationship such as a marriage.

I don't mind other people doing as they wish. However, what I do dislike and what angers me is people who have in the past started a "relationship" with me while they were married. In each relationship I am in, the question is always there, "Is this The One?" Someone already being married and having no intention or desire ever to have anything more with me than sex degrades the act of sex, it diminishes the statement of sex, relegating it to two people grunting and getting physical satisfaction then walking away from each other. The profound spirititual and emotional connection is meaningless to them.

When I have sex with someone, my feelings towards them absolutely change. This is why I don't run around casually spreading my legs. Because as an individual, I cannot handle it. It is too meaningful to me, matters too much to me.