View Single Post
Old 05-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Highlander JM

Ip 21

“That’s the one gripe I’ve always had about you, Jeremy,” Pamela said, shaking her head as she sat at the table in front of me. “You think you can solve the world’s problems with your money. You can’t. Nor can you solve MY problems, or Trish’s problems, with your money.”
“I never said my money would solve your problems,” I told her, seated upon the floor below her. “But it will give you a good kick-start in life. I’ll set up a trust fund for both you and Trish. You’ll get X amount of dollars from it every week for the rest of your life, or until you decide you don’t want - or need - it anymore.”
“I don’t want your money in the first place,” Pamela whined, shaking her head once more. “Look at this place, Jeremy. Look around you. This is my house. This is where I live. This house is where I belong. You may have bought it, but I helped you re-decorate everything last year. Over half the things in here, I helped you pick out. I’m supposed to be your wife. This house is where I belong.”
“It’s not your house anymore, Pamela,” I countered, unable to hold back a frown. “I’m sorry.”
“This isn’t right...” Pamela murmured.
“It isn’t right what you and Trish did to me and Lindsay,
either,” I told her. “You should have trusted me, Pamela. I promised you long ago that I would never let anything bad happen to you. You had to trust me first, before I would be able to follow through on that promise. You didn’t.”
“Cassidy would have still told the media,” Pamela said. “You couldn’t have stopped that, Jeremy. All of our names would be linked to prostitution, and our families and friends would have been absolutely ashamed of us. All of us. It could be proven not to be true, but still, our names would be out there and tarnished forever.”
“We would have found a way through it,” I said quietly. “At one time, Pamela, you and I could have gotten through anything - as long as we were together.”
Also seated at the table, Trish pouted and said, “Cassidy should still be alive - holding that axe over our heads. I think it may be better that way, compared to what happened to us today. This is WORSE than our worst nightmare. You don’t want Pamela back, Jeremy, and Lindsay hates me.” She began crying softly and added, “Pamela and I... we did what we thought was best for everyone, and their safety...”
“The money will do both of you good,” I told them. “I’ll set up trust funds for both of you. Pamela, you can finish college and become a teacher. Isn’t that what you always wanted? Trish, you’re a certified fitness instructor. What were you doing working at some dive restaurant?”
“Jobs are hard to find in California,” she replied. “All I could do was work at that restaurant. Either that, or strip with Pamela. I couldn’t put myself through that.”
“You won’t need to strip anymore, Pamela, with this trust fund,” I said. “You’re better than that. You don’t need to subject yourself to that. You could finish college and work part-time, and still have some money left over.”
“I’m not going to give either of you millions of dollars. I want both of you to be active. I want you to work, and do things. I want you to go out and meet people. I want you to find someone special to spend your lives with. I think four-hundred dollars per week, tax-free, would be a good stipend. You two could get your lives back together.”
“How many teachers do you know who used to be strippers?” Pamela sighed. “The two professions just don’t mix. I’ve always known that, but didn’t admit it to myself until I came to the island last year.”
“Then study something different than secondary education,” I told her. “I’m going to help you succeed in life as much as I possibly can. I want both of you to trust in that.”
“I don’t want your money!” Pamela cried. “I want to be back where I belong - with you, on this island!”
I took a deep breath and sighed, “I’m sorry, dear, but that’s not going to happen. I’m all but engaged to both Lindsay and Devon. I don’t blame you for anything bad that happened anymore. Cassidy did have that axe over your head. I’ll just say that you should have trusted in me.”
I paused before continuing, “Why don’t you two get cleaned up? Take a shower... take a nice, long bath. Both of you need it. Think my offer over. We’ll get some food in you, and you can spend the night. I’ll have you both on a flight tomorrow morning to anywhere in the world you want to go.”
“I want to be here...” Pamela reiterated, sobbing.
“Dinner tonight? Spend the night?” Trish exclaimed. “I
don’t see how that is possible, Jeremy. Lindsay hates me. Devon probably hates me now, too. I’m sure they feel the same way about Pamela, as well. We’re not welcome here.”
“I’ll have a talk with both Lindsay and Devon,” I nodded. “Tempers got way too far out of hand today. We’re all going to settle down. We may not have the greatest night, but at least it will be a peaceful one. I promise you that.”

Being a very cynical and untrusting person, I wanted to verify as much of Pamela and Trish’s story as I could. It’s not that I thought they were lying to me about Cassidy and her blackmail scheme. I just wanted to be sure about it.
I made a telephone call to a business associate of mine in the United States and asked him to run a trace on Pamela’s social security number. I wanted to know if my ex-wife had worked at a strip club outside of San Francisco for the past five months - as she claimed she had.
My friend on the telephone told me that indeed, Pamela was an employee of the club. I then looked it up on the Internet. One website which reviewed various clubs gave Pamela’s just one star, saying it was a sleaze joint. I cringed at the thought of my ex-wife having to make ends meet in what sounded like a horrible environment.
I then gave my associate friend Cassidy’s social security number. He ran a trace on it as well. She hadn’t worked in several months. It took awhile, but he was able to access her bank records, too. There was a deposit for $50 million made to her account on March 2nd of this year. Just days before that, my divorce with Pamela had been finalized and I wired her own account that exact amount - $50 million.
My last bit of detective work was to scour the websites for newspapers in the San Francisco and Oakland area. I searched for Cassidy’s name and indeed, she had been killed in a four-car accident just two days ago. The article said that Cassidy had been driving a Porsche. Makes sense...
Pamela and Trish had been telling the truth. They did not make any of this up.

As I turned off the computer, perhaps the realization of everything I had been told thus far today finally set in. Needless to say, I suddenly felt sick. I covered my face with both hands and started crying like a small child.
How could Cassidy be so EVIL? I understood that she wanted the divorce settlement from Pamela. I did not condone it in anyway, but I certainly understood why she wanted all that money for herself. Perhaps Cassidy felt as though she deserved it? That was bad enough...
But how could Cassidy, in good conscience, destroy my marriage with Pamela the way that she did? How could she do the same to Lindsay and Trish, as well? Did Cassidy have a heart, or any feelings? If she did have a heart, was it black? Certainly, there was no way it was red.
I could not fathom doing something so utterly horrible and despicable to another human being. Not even my worst enemy! How could Cassidy have woke up each morning, and looked at herself in the mirror? Did the mirror break? How could she have been happy with herself?
I continued crying as I thought more about Pamela and Trish. Pamela, really. She was once my wife. I loved and cherished her more than anything else in the whole, wide world. Sure, I had my thoughts about Lindsay and what it would have been like to be married to her instead. But I kind of figured that was just human nature on my part.
The fact of the matter was that Pamela was once my wife, and I was committed to her. I was prepared to spend the rest of my life with her. Indeed, her and I wanted to have children and grow old (and wrinkly) together.
What exactly had Pamela been through these past several months? She said that her only real asset was her body. She used it to make money - as a stripper. Pamela was a stripper before I met her, but she had worked in a very classy and upscale club in her hometown of Baltimore. The club in San Francisco, it seemed, was a run-down sleaze bar.
Pamela said that she was constantly fighting off drunk customers of the club, who always seemed to be a little too forward with her. Trish said in order to stay employed, she had to do sexual favors for the owner of the restaurant that she worked at. I’m not going to discuss that further.
My cries worsened as I realized at my computer desk, all of this led straight back to Cassidy. It was all her fault. How could anyone be so EVIL?
“BURN IN HELL!” I suddenly exploded, unable to control myself, as I placed my hand upon the computer monitor and sent it flying. The monitor landed upon the floor, its screen cracked down the center. I didn’t care anymore.
Realizing that all of the other girls were elsewhere, I grabbed a nearby lamp and tossed it into the wall. A desk fan went flying too, smacking hard against the restroom counter. I was letting my rage out. I had to let it out.
Fortunately, none of the other girls were here with me. I could never let them see this side of me. I had always prided myself in being their gracious, upstanding host.
I fell down into a defeated lump upon the floor and began crying once again. This was the worst day of my life - for many, various reasons. I could not believe that something as catastrophic as this had happened to me. I could not believe that it happened to Pamela and Trish, either.
At one time, I looked at Pamela and Trish as angels. Pamela had been the matriarch of this island. She loved all the other girls just as much as I did. Pamela was my wife. I was her husband. Just the simple fact that her love for me was unconditional and true was enough to make me feel like the luckiest man on the face of the Earth. Back then, I held Pamela in such lofty, high regards.
I looked at Trish as one of the most caring, sincere women I had ever met. It made me so happy last December when her and Lindsay were re-united with each other. They belonged together, I would tell myself over and over again. In all likelihood, Trish would have ultimately chose to stay on the island permenantly with Lindsay, Pamela and yours truly. The four of us could have been so happy together...

But now, I had Lindsay and Devon as the focal points of my life. I loved Amy as well, but I thought of her as more like an extra wheel at this point in time. Eventually, she would find her place as an equal in our relationship.
But I was happier with Lindsay and Devon than I had been with Pamela and Lindsay. I was much closer with Lindsay now than I ever was before. That was the clincher. I loved Devon very much, but Lindsay was my little sweetheart. She was my everything in life.
I liked to think that I loved Devon as much as I loved Lindsay. I tried to convince myself of it every single day. But the simple fact of the matter was that I loved Lindsay more than anything. She was - by far and away - the most important aspect of my life. Lindsay was my reason to live.
Quite simply, I was much happier right now with Lindsay than I ever had been with Pamela. I’m not putting Pamela down by saying that, either. I simply clicked better with Lindsay. Her and I had a certain chemistry when together.
Lindsay had given me everything she possibly could - her heart, her body, her soul - but I always found myself coming back for seconds. And thirds, and fourths. It was a process which never ended. Lindsay was like a drug to me. I was addicted to her. There was no turning back.
I needed to touch her every single day. Lindsay’s hair; her taut, firm body. I needed to smell her on a daily basis. The exotic, wondrous perfume she always wore. Lavender was her favorite. I needed to listen to her talk. Her squealy voice; those friendly giggles and funny sneers.
I needed all of those things everyday from Lindsay - and more. Without them, I would go insane.
Could I have once said the same things about Pamela?
No.
Despite the events of today, my life was better now than it ever had been before. I would never tell Pamela that, because it would surely destroy her. She was fragile and grief-stricken enough already. But this was the truth. Lindsay was so utterly perfect for me.
And while discussing the many virtues of Lindsay, I did not even mention Devon and the positive impact she had on my life. I loved Devon more than I ever did Pamela. Again, that was not a knock or slight against my ex-wife. It was, very simply, the truth.
Devon reminded me so much of an older, more shapely and mature Lindsay that it was actually scary at times. It was as if, in many cases, I had a CLONE of Lindsay in Devon. They looked alike, acted alike... hell, even talked alike.
Things about them were so similar...

After cleaning up the debris from my rampage throughout the suite, I took some time to regain my composure before deciding to finally venture back out.
It had been several hours since I had my discussion with Pamela and Trish about their future. Now, I found both of them lounging together in the front room. But much to my surprise, I also found Lindsay and Devon there as well.
Instead of throwing an elbow upside Trish’s face - which was the case earlier - Lindsay was now hugging and embracing the Canadian bombshell as if they were long-lost lovers. Devon, who had been on the receiving end of two punches hours ago - courtesy of Trish - was seated behind Lindsay and massaging her back, with a tear trickling down her face.
“I’m sorry, sweetie,” Trish sobbed, holding onto the 19-year-old as if she was the most precious thing in the world. In fact, I told myself, Lindsay was just that.
“I’m sorry I hurt you,” Trish added. “I just thought it was the best thing to do - for everyone’s safety. Cassidy was serious about what she was gonna do to all of us. We would have been absolutely butchered in the media.”
“It’s okay,” Lindsay countered with a deep sigh, finally able to break free from Trish’s arms. “I forgive you. You and Pamela were right, Trish. It’s best that all of us go out on good terms. We don’t need to be angry.”
“I’ll always love you,” Trish said, cupping the side of Lindsay’s face with her hand. “I’ll never stop!”
The little blonde pouted for an instant at those words, but then noticed me from across the room. She offered an immediate smile and waved her hand at me.
“What’s going on in here, ladies?” I asked while making my way over to the group. Pamela sighed sharply when she looked up and saw me. “No more punches or elbows, huh?”
“We just uhh... we thought we should part on good terms,” Trish responded, wiping her tears away. “If I can’t have Lindsay anymore, I at least don’t want her to hate me. I couldn’t stand that...”
I smiled while dropping down to the floor in front of them. I brought Trish into my arms and hugged her warmly. “I agree with you wholeheartedly. It’s good to see that all of you are not going to remember each other with hate.” I ended the embrace and asked, “Did you and Devon make up?”
“Oh yes,” Devon replied. “I’ve forgiven Trish for hitting me twice. It just took us awhile to settle down. Cassidy... everything she did - it took awhile to understand.”
Trish looked at Lindsay and said, “Are you sure that was your first-ever fight, sweetheart? That was a wicked elbow.”
“I’m so sorry for hitting you,” she told the voluptuous blonde. “I have never done anything so violent before. But I had to stand up for Devon. I just sort of snapped.”
“It’s okay,” Trish frowned, as I noticed a bruise upon her upper lip. “I understand perfectly. Today has been a really bad day. We all let her emotions get the best of us.”
“You and I should still be together,” Pamela said, gulping her throat as she stared lifelessly at me. “I just can’t believe after all this time - after everything I’ve been through - you don’t want me anymore.”
I took a deep breath and shook my head. Trish seemed to have rounded the corner over the past few hours, but Pamela was still stuck in neutral. “I’m sorry, Pamela. But my life is with Lindsay, Devon and Amy now.”
“No matter what power Cassidy had over you, what you said to me seven months ago was unforgivable,” I added. “I’ll certainly never forget it. I wasn’t good enough for you, our marriage was a mistake, you simply tolerated me...”
“I should have never said those things,” Pamela quaked. “I should have never let Cassidy control me like that. But I thought, Jeremy... I thought you would understand. Maybe I hoped you would understand. I... I just wanted us to be together again. I dreamt about it every single night...”
“I do understand, Pamela,” I told her. “But still, my life has changed since you were here last. I’m very sorry. I’m sorry about what Cassidy did to you... what she did to US. But I can’t drop everything I have in my life and get back together with you. Things are different now. I hope YOU understand, Pamela.”
Unfortunately, it appeared as if my ex-wife was about to break down and start crying again. I felt sorry for her. I wanted to offer her a hug - just as I had done moments ago for Trish. However, I figured it probably would not be the smartest thing to do right now. It may make her feel worse.
I then thought that both Pamela and Trish were much too beautiful to be crying like this. Both were exquisite, shapely blondes, with beautiful faces and charming smiles. I hated to see either of them cry. They had been through so much in the recent past. They deserved some happiness.
“I don’t know what to say,” Devon offered, reaching out and tapping Pamela on the wrist. “I... I’m sorry, Pamela. It’s obvious how much you love Jeremy.” She turned toward Trish and said, “Obvious how much you love Lindsay...”
“We’ll have to find a way through,” Trish shrugged. “I think it would be best if Pamela and I stayed together. We could help each other find our way through this.”
“I want to be with Jeremy...” Pamela murmured.
Obviously feeling sorry for her as well, Lindsay lunged
forward and embraced Pamela with both arms. I even seen a tear trickle down the 19-year-old’s face. At one time, of course, she and Pamela were extremely close with each other. Lindsay still held feelings for her.
“I’m so sorry, Pamela!” she cried, hugging her tighter.

Since Pamela was seemingly in a different world, Trish became their dual spokeswoman. She accepted my offer of $400 per week (tax-free) for each of them. Trish said that they could move to her hometown of Toronto, where they would be aided by her large contingent of friends and family. She also promised me that she would do her best to see that Pamela gets her life back on track.
It seemed after the initial shock wore off, Trish expected things to be the way they were on the island. Unlike Pamela, I sensed, Trish had the feeling that things may not have gone the way they wanted upon their return.
It was unrealistic for them to truly believe that Lindsay and I would drop everything and go running back into their respective arms. Too much time has passed - and too many hearts have been broken in the process. I got the sense that Trish had a feeling things would turn out this way.
Still, it did not ease her hurt. After everything she and Pamela had been through the past seven months, it must have nearly destroyed Trish when Lindsay said those three ominous words earlier - I hate you. Certainly, it would have shattered my psyche if Lindsay (God forbid) ever said those words to me. I can imagine how it made Trish feel, even though Lindsay obviously recanted them later...

Imagine the shocked looks upon the faces of Christina and Lisa once they returned from their day-long excursion (along with Gabrielle) on the other side of the island. What they saw upon entering the mansion was Lindsay offering Trish yet another hug, while Pamela continued to sob and cry. It took a long time to explain to them the many events which took place over the course of the past several hours.
Since this was just Gabrielle’s second day here, Amy had an excellent idea when she pulled her away from the front room. Gabrielle did not need to hear our dirty laundry. Amy took Gabrielle to the big shower room where (I’m told) the two of them had their first sexual encounter together.
Of course, whenever I found the time, I would have to go into my voyeur room and watch the videotape of their encounter. I hoped Amy wasn’t too rough with her...

As far as I was concerned, the remainder of the evening went off with no further fireworks. Lindsay and Trish had a good, long talk together, while Christina did her best to be good company for Pamela. Devon, of course, stayed close to Lindsay as she bantered deep into the night with Trish.
The following morning, Lindsay went along for the ride in my Jeep as I escorted both Pamela and Trish to the heli-pad on the other side of the island. It was during this time when I asked the two ladies how they had gotten to the island in the first place. Trish replied by saying that both of them had hitched a ride upon a fishing boat.
Ian - my friend who owned the helicopter - was waiting for us once we arrived at the landing pad. Rather than detail the final words that were said between us (which shall remain that way - between us), let me just say that it was a heartfelt, painful good-bye. I did give Pamela that elusive hug, too. It lasted about two minutes.
Armed with two airline tickets to Los Angeles, where they had a connecting flight to Toronto, Pamela and Trish boarded the helicopter with tears in their eyes. I held back my own emotions while watching the chopper rise into the air. My last image of Pamela was her staring blankly at me, her open hand pressed upon the window, as the helicopter flew off.
My mind was in a daze as I watched the chopper eventually disappear over the horizon. I said a prayer for Pamela; my body feeling extremely numb and tingling with great remorse. Perhaps I should have been more receptive toward her?
“I love you, Jeremy!” Lindsay cried, throwing her arms around me and squeezing tightly. She pressed the side of her face into my chest and sniffed her nose repeatedly. It was obvious that Lindsay was having similar thoughts about not only Trish, but Pamela as well.
“Can we make a promise to ALWAYS be honest with each other?” she pleaded. “I mean... not only me and you, Jeremy, but Devon and Amy, too. Can we? If there are any major problems, let’s talk about them. Let’s be honest.”
“I have always been open and honest with you, sweetheart,” I told her, forcing a smile. “But still, that’s an excellent idea. We’ll get Devon and Amy, and we’ll make that promise to each other. Cross our hearts, and hope to die.”
“Stick a needle in your eye?”
“Yes,” I confirmed, leaning down and kissing Lindsay on
the cheek. “I love you too, princess. I love you more than anything. More than anything in this world...”
Lindsay offered a tender, gracious smile as she retracted from our embrace and looked up at me. Her expression soured as she said, “Pamela seemed really bad off. It’s so awful.”
I placed an arm around the blonde’s shoulder and began guiding her back toward the Jeep. “Pamela should have trusted me. It’s that simple. And what she said to me all those months ago, and what Trish said to you - inexcusable.”
“I trust you, Jeremy,” the teen-ager squealed.
“And I love you,” I reiterated, pecking her lips with a
kiss. “As long as I have you, sweetheart, life is good.”

<<<- End of Part 21 ->>>