View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 01:30 PM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

We indeed have a sump pump; but this was totally unable to keep up with the inflow. To give it credit, the break in the pipe *probably* happened last year, when Verizon came by, installed FiOS to the neighborhood, and in so doing, knocked the cover off the box for the inflow shut-off valve. And cracked the box surrounding the valve. The sump pump kept water out of the basement that long; in fact, a couple of months ago, I noticed the back yard becoming a swamp from the outflow from the sump pump. But eventually, the entire basement ground became saturated, and the water started flowing intoour basement.

So, yesterday, WSSC was back, I think (I was at work) installed a new shut-off valve, and was able to cut off the flow, whether or not it was from the old valve or the potential new one, I don't know.

Then we called the original plumber company back, and they sent out a guy who had no idea that anyone had been out here already, and was utterly confused about what we wanted and needed done.

So, now the original plumber from the company that was here on Monday, is back, with a crew of two helping him. They've dug a huge new hole in our front yard, cut out the drywall, and drilled through the basement concrete in order to install a new pipe, and are installing that now.

We still do not have water, and probably will not untl sometime tomorrow when WSSC can come back, inspect the job the plumbing company has done, and assuming appoval, turn the water back on, and refill the holes.

But at least we have no water leaking into our basement, that is fairly dry, and the back yard swamp has dried to the point where at least four of the frogs that were living in the swamp have moved to the pond (which has a pond liner, so that's good. We like our frogs).