Thread: Nursing and sex
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 AM
Gone with the Wind

Nursing and Sex (Wanda Butts in)

Sweetie! Hmmm... let's see what you said...

"But ...it's nasty. REALLY nasty. The whole job is one big unpleasant mess... And beyond the mess, sex would never, EVER be practical. Nurses are so freaking heavily drilled on how to keep sanitary and practically sterile at any given time (we do sterile procedures but we ALWAYS observe clean technique, no matter what), you start having nightmares about what kind of horrid, fatal infections you'll get if you don't wash your hands at least five times between tasks. It's a total OCD profession."

And...

"int out that from a nurse(student)s POV that sex and nursing are about as far appart on the association scale as..."

Last...
"It's just a scary, uncertain situation."

Sweetie, you are a Nursing Student!!! Trust me, your feelings and attitudes will change as time goes on and you have more experience in dealing with patients. Right now EVERYTHING is new and scary.
It is true that there is now more emphasis on Universal precautions than there were 10 years ago, and this is good. But I hate seeing Nurses who will not touch a patient, ANY patient, unless they are wearing gloves. This defies science and common sense. Our patients NEED the healing of human touch. Not latex.

And I feel I am qualified to say this...
(Wanda once again feels her OCD energies course through her as she tries to prove her competence)

I graduated Nursing School (BSN) and passed my boards 10 years ago. I have so many certs I can barely count, including TNCC, CCRN, ACLS, CSEC to finally being awarded my MSN/MPH (YESS !!!Finally!!!!)
I was previously certified as a Community Health Nurse and currently am certified in Children's Health Education. I have completed advanced training in Nursing Management AND Critical Care Nursing, and lastly, I am Certified as a Family Planning and Disease Prevention Nurse. (CSEC)
My much -delayed MSN/MPH Thesis was an analysis and quantification of women involved with "Alternative Lifestyles" and their difficulty and reluctance in accessing the Health Care System. (It's a bigger problem than most people realize)

By the way, any women reading this who have had problems, please check out the Mautner Project at www.mautnerproject.org.

Ok, having said ALL of this, for me my Nursing experiences are intertwined with my sex life as far back as my sophomore year in Nursing School.
For example, I got in a great deal of trouble (and notoriety) for visiting a patient (on my own time) and having sex with him in his hospital bed. (well, oral sex anyway). I went to a Halloween party as the Lady Godiva, and was known as "the Naughty Nurse" before the year was over. I dated (fucked) medical students in droves, and had a wonderful time! Plus I entered into my first Lesbian relationship with my roomie.

So I don't really agree with you about Nursing and Sex, but I do agree that Greys Anatomy is silly, as is every other medical show I have ever seen.
Thanks to everyone who was supportive of Nursing in general.

WW is tired and climbs off her soapbox.

Wanda

---Margaret Cho