View Single Post
Old 02-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Manwhore

[soapbox]So far the main argument I have seen in favor of a constitutional amendment is, "Marriage has always been between a man and a woman." So it boils down to, "It's been that way for a really long time so why on Earth would we change it?"

People said the same thing when slavery was legal.

I've also heard that it argued that it isn't right because marriage is about family and a same sex couple cannot conceive children on their own.

This logic suggests a we should also ban sterile men and women from being married. Oh... and what if a couple just don't want children?

There is NO reasonable reason why same sex couples should not receive the same benefits as hetero couples. If these marriages are allowed it will not have an effect on the marriage of a hetero couple. So what's the problem?

Pardon me for one last vent, but the thing that really bothers me is the hate that I hear from some (not all) religious people on this issue. I do not claim to be knowledgable of all faith's, but I do think that hatred is a value that is often spoke of in an undesirable fashion. [/soapbox]

Clever? Nah, I ran out of that years ago. But if you find this, let me know, k?
"The road goes ever on..." ~ Tolkien

In memory of my friend skip...
Go then, there are other worlds than these