View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Turn it up!

Send a message via AIM to scotzoidman Send a message via Yahoo to scotzoidman
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantyFanatic
Zoid, Is that area part of (or near) the Blue Ridge mountain area? It's breathtakingly beautiful country and your description of the razor-edge road sparked an OLD memory from about … 35 years ago …. a while back, along the sheerest drop I ever got to spend about 30 miles next to. MUCH of it was cable guard rail along an edge too steep for trees to grow on, so you had a vista view that you didn't dare look out over. When my white knuckles saw the sign for 'Hungry Mother State Park', I knew somebody else had the same thoughts about the road that I was having. I sold that car years later, with my fingerprints still in the steering wheel.

BEAUTIFUL area , but somebody else can do the driving.

PF, this was strictly in the Smokies, on the TN side (altho I'm pretty sure you can see parts of NC in the pics...the big mtn in the distance should be Klingman's Dome, highest point in TN, & NC is on the south slope)...I think Blue Ridge is farther east in NC & VA ...mrs zoid ridiculed me for leaning forward during the climb, like that'd help, but I really felt the need to move our center of gravity up any way I could I have always had an intense fear of heights, & I recall a trip thru the area, hmm, may have been...about … 35-40 years ago (I was still a child, mind you) into NC to see the outdoor theatre show "Until These Hills", about the Cherokee Indians who USED to live in the area...the bus was being piloted by a sadist who seemed to take pleasure in my terror, taking the kind of curves you describe way too fast...time & therapy haven't been enough to keep me from breaking into a cold sweat at the memory
In fact, the cabin had an old relief map on the porch to help us visitors get our bearings, & I took a pic of that too...I'm hoping that my resizing it for pixies hasn't eliminated too much detail, but the crudely hand-drawn "X" in the center is about where we were, on the SE face of the Chilhowee Mtns...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relief map of smokies resize.jpg (123.3 KB, 100 views)

If the theory does not conform to the facts, then the facts must be discarded.

No good deed ever goes unpunished

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, & beat you with experience.