View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Pixie's Resident Reptile

24 July 1916

Western Front
Battle of the Somme:
German counter-attacks at High Woodand Guillemont. BEF has advanced 3 1/4 miles on 6-mile front, taken 11,119 PoWs and 56 guns while engaged 16 German divisions (8 drawn into reserve); 2,090 British guns have fired 4.5 million shells, since the beginning of the offensive. General Sir Douglas Haig praises the First Australian Division for “a very gallant, skillful and successful attack on Pozieres village…”
“Mining Activity on the British Front”, showing a dramatized account of mining operations at the Somme: http://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/index/45146
Near Estrees, French capture enemy battery.

Battle of Verdun: French take a redoubt west of Thiaumont (south-west of Douaumont).

Eastern Front
Brusilov Offensive:

Russian forces under General Kuropatkin drive back Germans south of Riga on a 30-mile front, with a depth of 12 miles at furthest point.

Southern Front
Italian advance on Asiago Plateau and Trentino border continues; after a night attack troops capture Monte Cismone.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theaters
Sinai:
16,000 Turks advance to within 10 miles of Romani and entrench.

Naval and Overseas Operations
East Africa:
NRFF (1,200 soldiers) defeats Captain Braunschweig’s Southern Detachment at Malangali, drives it towards Iringa. Belgian battalion takes Kasulu.

Political, etc.
Germany:
Kaiser Wilhelm to wounded troops: “It is the most poignant grief of my life that I am unable to take a more active part in this war.”
United Kingdom: Record credit (£ 450 millions) voted in House of Commons. Total for 1916-1917 £ 1.05 billon.
David Lloyd George predicts victory in the next few months: “I feel confident that victory is assured to us.”
Easter Rising: Irish Home Rule is defeated in Parliament due to opposition by the Unionists. Irish members cry “traitor” to Premier Asquith. Irish Home Rule debates continue until July 31.
British Memorandum in reply to American complaints regarding censorship of neutral mails, published.