Thread: Indian Bride
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Married Couple

Chapter Two

Crazy Wolf, the eldest son of the Sioux Chief, Soaring Eagle, sat on his horse and watched as the new family worked about the house. He watched as the man busy himself in and around the barn. His attention then turned to the women and little one beating the large rugs. He had to give a silent laugh as the little one beat at the rug as hard as she could. He thoughts drifted back to the day when Paul Jacobs had built the house here.

Ten springs had come and gone since that day. Paul Jacobs' wife had taught Crazy Wolf's tribe to speak English. It had helped them in communicating with the white men that traded with them. Even his father, Chief Soaring Eagle, had become very good friends with the man that had lived here. The entire tribe was sad when they heard that the Jacobs would be leaving and a new family would living here.

Crazy Wolf's head cleared of his thoughts and his eyes focued on the farm again. The man, women, and little one now stood staring at him. Giving his horse a light kick, he headed down towards the small house to give them the gifts that his father had sent. As he rode towards the house, the noticed the two older women. The one stood next to the man, his arm around her. He knew that she was the man's wife because that was how Paul Jacobs would hold his wife. The other one stood apart from them, yet close by, holding the little.

Crazy Wolf was taken back by her. He stared at her as the wind blew her long hair around. It was the color of the wheat that grew on the plains during the warm time of the year. She was tall, but not as tall as him. He guessed that she could easily rest her head on his chest. Reaching them, he could tell that her eyes were not green nor brown, but a mixture of both. They were beautiful.

"Hello," Crazy Wolf said from his horse, "I have brought gifts from my father, Sioux Chief Soaring Eagle." He handed down the peace pipe, tanned hides and furs, and the moccasins to the man. "My name is Crazy Wolf. I am the eldest son of Chief Soaring Eagle. This gifts are our offering of peace to you and your family. We hope to trade with you and live in peace just as we did with Paul Jacobs and his wife."

"Thank you," the man said. "I am Henry Miller." Crazy Wolf extended his hand to shake that of the man's. Pointing in turn to the females, Henry Miller told their names. "This is my wife Anna, my eldest daughter, Angelique, and the little one there is Hannah. Please get down and visit with me."

Crazy Wolf sat down in the hard chair that Henry Miller's older daughter brought out to him. He watched as Henry Miller sat in the one she brought to him. Before he, or the older Miller's knew it, the little one climbed into his lap and began asking questions. "Are you a real Indian," she said, her eyes staring into his. He gave a chuckle as he said "yes". "That is very rude, Hannah. Get down," the older woman said. "She is alright," he said. "She is just as curious about me as I am about all of you."

The older Miller's seemed to relax at his answer. "How come you talk like a white man and not like an Indian," Hannah asked. "When I talk to the white man, I use his talk. But when I am with my tribe, I use my people's talk," Crazy Wolf answered the smiling the child. "Who learned you the white man's talk," she asked, shooting out the as soon as he had finished talking. "Paul Jacobs wife taught me and my people how too," he answered.