Thread: Simon Says
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2003, 03:53 PM

She blinked and squinted as he adjusted the beam of the desklamp to shine in their faces, leaving him a dark silhouette in a chair. Something about not being able to see his face, his eyes. She was afraid for perhaps the first time since encountering him.

Helene wrapped her arms around Max as he joined her on the couch, her eyes fixed at the intruder who was fastening a thick cylinder to the end of a gun. She wasn't stupid -- she knew it was a silencer -- but there was no one within miles who would hear a gun going off. Perhaps he wasn't aware of that and she could use it to their advantage.

"Well. What am I going to do with you two?"

"Just let us go."

His laugh was chilling, raising the little hairs on her arms on her arms and back of her neck. Max moved closer and she gave her son a reassuring squeeze. "It will be okay, Max." she whispered, kissing him on his forehead, never taking her eyes from the dark shape across the room.

"Okay, then. Let my son go. I'll do whatever you like. I can give you money enough to get away. No one will come after you. We will never tell a soul. You have my word."