Thread: The Laundromat
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Lady in Waiting

On the Way

“You also save the monthly gym fees. They add up over a year.”

“You’re right. And I can work out whenever I want. I can exercise on my schedule, not the gym’s.”

The traffic slowed down and became predictably complex as we passed the strip malls on the right, so I kept quiet let Steve focus on driving. The different vehicles glinted in the bright sunlight, washed clean by last night’s rain; the minivans filled with families on their way to the beaches, the sedans steered by bored locals. I watched and smiled sadly as we passed a car with a dog stretching his head out of a partially open rear window, his muzzle extended as he sniffed at all the smells I’ll never know. He seemed to be enjoying his ride just as much as the the rest of the young family on the way to the beach.

I had a family and a dog once. Our dog Sancho had been in the car with Adele, Papa, Mama and me when the truck hit us. Only Adele and Sancho saw the truck come flying out of the alley. They had only time enough to scream before it hit us and pushed the car into the oncoming traffic. That’s where the car hit us head on.

At least that’s what I was told. The only thing I remember was Adel’s and Sancho’s scream.

I was arguing with Mama. She wanted me to find Miguel. Miguel had vanished the year before while smuggling cocaine into America. He’d done it before successfully, but this last time after his call from Florida – nothing. Money arrived , but no calls and no letters from Miguel.

“Annabel Sanchez! You must go find Miguel. He’s your brother, and the eldest son.”

“But Mama, I’ve just found Juan! He’s a wonderful, caring man.”

“If Juan is so wonderful and caring, he’ll wait a few months while you bring Miguel home.”

“But Mama …”

I heard the scream, and the next thing I remember was a frowning fat man looking into my eyes.

“Annabel? Anabel Sanchez? Can you hear me?”
“Wha … What happened?”

“You’ve been in a terrible accident. Your mother is calling for you.”

“Mama? Where? Is she alright?”

The man helped me up. “Come. She’s calling for you.”

Mama was covered in blood.

“Mama!” I screamed.

She reached out blindly towards me as I kneeled beside her. “Anna?”

I grabbed her hand, sticky with blood. “Yes Mama. It’s me. Mama! What has happened to us?

Mama was gasping for breath. “Listen to me Anna. Find Miguel. Bring him home. Do you hear me?”

“Yes Mama. Yes! Where’s Papa? Where’s Adele?”

“Take care of your Papa and Adele.”

Mama’s hand went slack.

“No! Mama! No! No! No! Mama wait! No! No! No!”

Mama died without knowing Papa and Adele were already dead. Mama left thinking I could help them, although I couldn’t.

But I had promised her to bring Miguel home, and I could – I would – do something about that.

© 2015