View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndhy
you sound huffy ...

If you say so.

Quote:
... i never said you had to agree with me or that you said i was wrong or any of that ...

I don’t recall saying that you did.

Quote:
... once again, i am taking the things i have learned, coupling them with my own temperament and ideals and making a prediction about the future. more education has been shown to reduce everything from unwanted pregnancies to drug use to violent crime. i thought that was a pretty obvious connection. i don't even need a study or data to prove it to me. it's a no brainer, as far as im concerned ...

I have no doubt that as far as you’re concerned, it is a no brainer. Nevertheless, you have proposed a relationship “there will be less money for after school programs. less productive stuff to do equals more crime,” which as I have pointed out, is unsubstantiated by data. You may not feel that corroborating evidence is important in this case, but some people find arguments more persuasive with data than without.

Quote:
... but, the children are the future and all that cliche, so if we need to prioritize where the money goes, i vote for primary and secondary education to be among the top five. top three even. our educational system is not great, it needs a major overhaul, but we shouldn't be cutting the budgets, we should be looking for ways to do a better job ...

I’ll agree that education should be on the short list, and your final point above.

Quote:
... the us dept of justice did a study back in '01 (i believe) that showed about 35%of gen pop inmates and 50 percent of death row inmates lack a high school diploma or GED. in the general public only about 15 percent don't have a diploma or GED. i see a big difference. when we cut school budgets so drastically, the districts must compensate for the loss by laying off teachers and aides, cutting full day kindergarten and after school programs and using higher teacher to student ratios (which impacts the individual education of every child). it is inevitable (once again, to me) that there will be a negative impact on the education of the coming generations ...

Your inmate to GED ratio argument looks suspiciously like a post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Quote:
... you guys talk about how great it was back then.....what was your class size? ...

In my school, between 15 and 25, and no I’m not including Band.

Quote:
... did you learn algebra in kindergarten? did you know what the word hyberbole meant by first grade and could you use it to great effect in your creative writing? did you have creative writing in first grade? could you name and locate over a dozen other countires on a world map when you were 5? were you taught to think critically in math before the age of 7? ...

Are those results from the after school programs you are concerned will be de-funded?