Thread: Nursing and sex
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Simple writer man

These are the kind of thoughts and insights that make me proud to be doing what I'm doing (or trying to do, I guess I should say). I was making this little rant more to be kinda silly and to point out that from a nurse(student)s POV that sex and nursing are about as far appart on the association scale as...well, I can't think of a witty and smart-ass example to use, so I digress.

But in all seriousness, I'm glad to hear people have had positive experiences with nursing. I've been blessed to have avoided spending a lot of time as patient in my life, but when I have, it's been doozies. I was always fascinated by the medical and hospital world, but that never, ever prevented me from getting scared and worried about things. It's just a scary, uncertain situation.

I don't mean to sound self-gratifying, but nurses are always the ones who deal with these things. I don't mean to bad-mouth anyone...but I can't help but saying, Dr.'s (in general, and with exceptions, of course) have such horrible bedside manners that all they seem to do is upset patients more than anything. I've seen this many times, both as a patient and even more so now as a nursing student. They just don't seem to realize and/or care about the kind of pain and suffering and serious emotional issues that their patients are going through. This is, to be fair, likely tied to the kind of role and responsibility spectrum they're looking at, which is very different than that of a nurse.

That's why I want to be a nurse. I think, while Dr.'s may be the ones who end up curing a patient, nurses are the ones who ultimately carry the patient through. They're the one right there, treating, helping, communicating and listening. They see the pain, and they're the ones who help make it better in any way they can. They form the connection and the hands on healing relationship with the patient. And that's what I want, I want to be right there and be able to provide that kind of healing and comfort to the patients immediate problems.

So yeah. This started as a commontary about societies sexual approach toward nursing. I understand this is, of course, a fantasy, but it always just kinda seemed downright illogical to me.

Seems it has moved to more an overall view of nursing. And I'm very happy to find that people do see how much we(nurses) care. It makes me feel like I'm doing the right thing.

"Batman was a SCIENTIST?!" -Homer Simpson