Thread: Mercenary Love
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Married Couple

Cole sat down at the bar between his father and grandfather. "What'll it be," Hank the bartender asked. "Whiskey," he replied, "and leave the bottle." "That bad, son," Sam asked. "That bad, dad," Cole said before downing the shot. "We lost two men and had seven wounded." "And what about you," Abby asked as she walked up behind him, almost in tears. "How bad were you wounded?" Cole's heart skipped a beat as he saw her holding back tears for him. "Not that bad, Abby," he said, hopeing his soft tone would convience her. "Just two knife wounds and a..." He voice faltered. "And a what, Cole," she demanded. "A shot." "In the shoulder where dad grabbed me," he said lowering his head. "Damn it," he thought to himself, "why does she make me feel like a little kid being scolded?"

"You were shot," she cried out in shock. "Oh God, Cole, let me see." He loved the way she mothered him. He couldn't keep from shaking as she unbottoned his shirt and pushed the fabric away, revealing his wound. "Oh, Cole," she sighed as she ran her hand along his rugid jaw line. His heart raced as he deeply breathed in her womanly scent. It took all his strength to keep from pulling her into his arms and kissing her passionately. He had once before and that kiss, along with the sweet love that they had made, had lingered in mind and on his lips for the past two years. The only thing that stopped him from it now was that he was scared; scared that he would leave her a widow or that one of his enemies would find them and take their revenge out on her. He just couldn't do that to her. He hadn't been a mercenary when they made love and now, that alone made a huge difference.

Later that night, Abby followed Cole up to his room above the bar. Sam and Tom slept in the other two bedrooms. For several long minutes, Cole stood with is back to her. She could tell that he was holding back tears. Rubbing her hands along his back, she said, "Cole, I'd never think less of you if cried in front of me. My shoulders may be small, but there strong. I love you and there's nothing that you could say or do that would change the way I feel for you. To me, a coward is someone who is too scared to go after what he wants and a man is someone who stands up to the challenge and faces it. And Cole, you're no coward."

Before she knew what was happening, Cole had dropped to his knees and now had her waist pressed tightly to his chest. Tears began to roll down his cheeks. "Just let it out," she said. "I'm here." For several minutes Abby held Cole as he let out the mixed feelings he had pinned up inside him. "Oh God, Abby," he finally said into her stomach, "I love you." Looking up at her he said it again. "I love you Abigal Brown. I love you." The rest of the night, he held her in his arms on top of his bed. Not another word was said between them and not once did they make love. Abby knew that by just him holding her close to him was helping him in more ways than she'd ever know. She could tell from the way his was deeply sleeping, this was the first real restfully night of sleep he had had since he had departed over a month ago.